Law School Discussion

When to begin LSAT prep course

When to begin LSAT prep course
« on: February 21, 2005, 10:09:52 AM »
Hi All,
I'm planning on starting a Kaplan course in New York sometime before the June LSAT. Those of you who have taken courses or are planning on doing so, when should I begin the course? February, March, April?

I've read that it's best to leave only a week or two between the end of the course and the test itself, but wasn't certain.

Thanks for any help that's out there!

shari

Re: When to begin LSAT prep course
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 10:12:06 AM »
It is best to do the course right before the test - the course begins to lead into
test day by the end.  Make sure you do all of your homework, it is necessary for the
course to be effective.  Do all of the online stuff, especially the quiz banks.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 10:57:03 AM »
I'm in the same situation with Kaplan. I can take a course that will end 2 days before the june test or a class that leaves me two weeks.  Would it be better to have a few weeks in between or only a few days ???????? Advice welcomed!!!

yk84

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 11:06:07 AM »
the earlier the better, so it gives you time to absorb the material and to practice on your own. i actually took the course twice because the first time around i understood what they were talking about, but it didnt "click" until more time passed.

BAFF213

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 11:07:11 AM »
First, I would advise against taking the Kaplan course.  Take Powerscore or Testmasters.  From what I've heard, these courses are much better.  I would also suggest taking the prep course well before the actual LSAT, so that you can give yourself ample time to prepare using the strategies you've learned.

Geddon187

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 11:13:37 AM »
I'd say that it is best to take something that isn't Kaplan. Look into taking Testmasters or Powerscore. I would take one that gives you two weeks so that you can take a couple extra timed practice tests, and take a little break before you take the real test.

BAFF213

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 11:41:09 AM »
And when I say "well before", I mean months before.  This way, you will have a chance to do several (or even many) practice tests.  I would suggest doing as many practice tests as you can if you want to reach your full potential (e.g. at least 5 or 10).  This will take at least one month after the course itself.