Law School Discussion

"I will definitely attend your school if accepted"

vickymaz

"I will definitely attend your school if accepted"
« on: February 21, 2005, 09:46:25 AM »
Okay - it's deferral letter time. What's the general consensus on using this phrase? What if I get a huge scholarship from some other school in the meantime which changes my financial circumstances? Am I legally binding myself to this school? Give me your thoughts. It is my top choice, but I'm still nervous about putting it in a letter and signing it, due to the financial-aid factor. This deferral school won't give me any money, guaranteed, but I'm very borderline with my numbers, so I need all of the help I can get in my letter.

LaneSwerver

Re: "I will definitely attend your school if accepted"
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 09:47:56 AM »
Well, I've got this funny thing called morality, and my own opinion is don't say it unless you mean it. If you don't intend to "definitely" attend, then choose some different words.

fliingdutchmn

• You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 10:12:59 AM »
If you don't intend to "definitely" attend, then choose some different words.

I agree.  I used the "definitely" phrase in a letter recently, but did not send it until I had convinced myself that I would, indeed, "definitely attend."  I mean, if I were accepted to my dream school, but could not actually attend for whatever reason, who exactly am I fooling to say it's my first choice??

j

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 11:19:13 AM »
Go ahead and send the letter.  If you decide not to go their, do you seriously think a law school will take you to civil court because you sent them a letter saying you would attend their school.  Actually, that would be hilarious if they did, and you received a court order to attend their school because your letter was a binding contract.  I would love to see that!

vickymaz

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 11:53:03 AM »
Okay...I'll give it some more thought before sending it out. I am going to be completely honest, so I'll change the wording if I decide that I feel otherwise. But the more I think about it, the more I feel that it is true, and therefore this thread is somewhat pointless. Sorry :) Thanks for the replies, though!

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 12:15:44 PM »
I don't think its legally binding anyway.  It's a crappy thing to do, but its like when you apply somewhere early decision and then decide not to go there.  It's frowned upon in a big way and you may lose a lot of money, but they can't really do anything to you.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 12:23:58 PM »
Go ahead and send the letter.  If you decide not to go their, do you seriously think a law school will take you to civil court because you sent them a letter saying you would attend their school.  Actually, that would be hilarious if they did, and you received a court order to attend their school because your letter was a binding contract.  I would love to see that!

That would be a great sitcom plot.  A bitter law school applicant grudgingly attends Cooley after a court orders him to turn down a full scholarship at Yale.  Not only that, but the judge's order stipulates that he is obligated to finish law school and practice law - he's not allowed to drop out or change careers at any point in his life thereafter.  I hope it happens. 

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 04:19:54 PM »
I sent a similar letter to three schools with additional recs and an updated resume, but used different wording.  How about just expressing your strong interest in the program and preference for attending their school?  It's not binding and it tells them you are very interested.

Hell, it worked for me.  I just got accepted into UCLA after writing them two letters with supplementary materials.  I would like to think that it had a little something to do with it b/c they were kind of a reach (Chiasu only gave me a 30% chance).

Good luck!