Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tennessee Visit Next Week  (Read 512 times)

SuperJ

• View Profile
Tennessee Visit Next Week
« on: February 21, 2005, 11:24:28 AM »
Anybody from there or visited already?  Any info on parts of Knoxville I should check out, etc? Thanks in advance.

jnicoleut

• AOL Instant Messenger - jnicoleut
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tennessee Visit Next Week
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 11:10:11 AM »
I just finished my ugrad in Knoxville, so I know quite a bit about the area. The campus is very close to downtown and there is plenty of housing within a few miles. The majority of students live in the Fort, which is the hilly residential neighborhood directly to the west of the campus. There are some nice places to live, but there are some shady parts as well as some big party places. Downtown has some newly built/renovated lofts that are nice, and about a 5 minute drive. If you don't want to live on-campus, try the West Hills area (West Knoxville, by the mall), there are nice apts and houses around there. If you want a taste of what the school is like, you have to first see Neyland Stadium (3 minute walk from the LS), because football is what the area revolves around. Note: Students get free football tickets, something you won't find many places (especially ones with a top program). There is a new student rec center on campus, it's pretty nice. I don't know exactly what you'd be interested in, but I'll answer any questions I can! :)
"I've seen enough to feel the world spin." -Jimmy Buffett

SuperJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 12:57:30 PM »
Thanks for the housing info.  I will def. check those places out.  I will be up there for the entire weekend.  Are there any social areas/places I should check out?  Anything big goin on this weekend? Thanks again.

jnicoleut

• AOL Instant Messenger - jnicoleut
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 01:46:54 PM »
There is an area right on campus (a block down the street from the LS) called "The Strip" which is where a bunch of the college bars and eating places are. The crowd at those places can get a little young, and two of the bars (OCI and Cool Beans) are predominantly Greek. If you like going out with a more mature or eclectic crowd, try the bars in the Old City. It's an old part of the downtown area and there are some cool places...Barley's is a favorite, with some good live music (and great pizza). :) I don't know that there's anything big going on this weekend, but the first weekend in March there is the big annual boxing tournament-- it's put on by one of the frats and the tournament lasts 3 days with fights between frat boys who have trained in the gym with trainers for a few months. Us girls always loved taking a cooler and watching the guys go at it for charity. Good times. Everyone's very friendly down there, so you'll have no trouble getting directions or recommendations-- Enjoy your visit!
"I've seen enough to feel the world spin." -Jimmy Buffett