Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pre-Med Curriculum to Law School?  (Read 2146 times)

JoeW87

• View Profile
    • Email
Pre-Med Curriculum to Law School?
« on: February 21, 2005, 12:55:53 AM »
     I am a high school senior (3.9 gpa/30 act) and I have always been interested in pursuing a career in medicine.  As of lately, however, I have been questioning what I truly want to do in life, and more and more I find myself leaning toward law.  I think that my 'problem' is that both subjects fascinate me.  I guess I just need guidance. I have read on other boards that it is a good idea to major in something you like and then worry about law school. Is it advisable for me to continue my plans with pre-med in college? What other classes can I take to aid me if I decide law is my calling? Can pre-med help me in a particular field of law? Any information of the sort would GREATLY be appreciated.  I am just a little worried about what college and thereafter will bring, as I am sure many of you users had once felt being in my position before.

calguy815

• Sr. Citizen
  • NYU '07
    • AOL Instant Messenger - calguy815
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pre-Med Curriculum to Law School?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 01:28:49 AM »
I was pretty much in that position going into college too... absolutely fascinated by science, yet interested in law and politics.

First of all, if you are thinking you might want to pursue a career in medicine, then follow that main curriculum.  A person with only pre-med classes can go to law school; a person with only pre-law classes can't go to medical school.  Better to be safe, in my opinion.

That said, there's advantages to doing a science curriculum anyway.  I was a biology major (though never wanted to go to med-school) and I've found that the lab classes and the technical training more than adequately prepared me to think logically, a skill required for the LSAT and for law.  Of course, the down side to this is that the curriculum may be harder, thus possibly lowering your GPA (organic chemistry did heavy damage to mine).  And nothing stops you from taking philosophy or political science classes as your electives if you are interested in that area as well.

I have to emphasize though that if you really want to keep both options open, then you should pursue things on the side that shows your interest in law or public policy.  I volunteered for city councilmembers and got involved in politics, in addition to doing all the biology stuff.  That way, when applying for law school or looking for jobs, I can show that I made a gradual decision to attend law school based on interests I've always held, instead of looking like I made an impulsive decision and sudden switch to go to law school because I didn't know where else to go.

It's good advice that you should major in something you like and then worry about law school later... I'll echo that sentiment.  But it doesn't have to be one or the other.  As I said, consider pursuing a medical-friendly curriculum and law related extracurriculars.

kristen14

• Sr. Citizen
  • LitiGATOR :)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DCPompeia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 02:21:57 AM »
Hello!  I am a college senior.  I did my first three years of undergrad with the intention of going to med school.  Last year, however, I decided that the policy as opposed to clinical realm of health care interested me more, and thus I began the law school application process.  I'm looking at getting a dual degree in Law and Public Health now, and I'm very excited!  And as the previous poster said, any curriculum will prepare you well for law school.

Best of luck to you!  Where are you thinking about going to undergrad?
"It is only in the mysterious equations of love that any reason can be found." ~Beautiful Mind
MPH / JD Hopeful :)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=kristen14

JoeW87

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 06:37:09 PM »
kristen14...I am planning on going to the University of Wisconsin for my undergrad studies, and I am very anxious and excited to start college. Thanks for the info. :)