Law School Discussion

About Kaplan's LSAT 180

stelee

About Kaplan's LSAT 180
« on: February 20, 2005, 07:39:01 PM »
How did you use Kaplan's LSAT 180, and was it helpful?

Javert

• Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
Re: About Kaplan's LSAT 180
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 07:47:27 PM »
It was okay. The primary benefit of the book is access to some really hard problems to sharpen your skills. I found many of their games really challenging.

Other than that, it's not much of a value. But it was worth it for me, especially since I went the self-prep route.

withj

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 07:52:58 PM »
OF all the fake-question books I saw, Kaplan's are far and away the best. I used LSAT 180, and while it doesn't hold a candle to real prep tests, or Nova's Master the LSAT, it's worlds better than CRACKING THE LSAT or Barron's (burning your money for heat would be a more profitable use of it than buying the latter's books.)

In short, LSAT 180 is somewhat useful, but I would use the Triple Prep, the "10 Actual..." and the Nova Master the LSAT books first.

limonjello

• Not me as a kid, but me in 34 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 07:58:00 PM »
I agree with WithJ.  I thought it worked very well as an adjunct for the harder logic games.  The Nova book was very helpful for the basic stuff.  Couldn't agree more about Barron's - worthless.

The absolutely indispensable piece is to get all of the "10 Actual.." books.  Make sure you get the newest one because it reflects better the move to harder RC and a bit lesser on the LG, but the others are great for overall practice tests.

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 08:26:22 PM »
i found the book moderately helpful; less helpful than the powerscore books, but more useful than pretty much all of the other books circulating out there.  also, i think the quesitons in Kaplan 180 are from actual LSATs -- maybe just the LR questions and RC passages? 

withj

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 08:35:51 PM »
NO, they're not. I did ~all~ the available preps, and all of the Kaplan questions (in their books, anyway, I can't speak for their courses) are made up. They're the best made-up questions out there, but still made up.

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 08:49:31 PM »
NO, they're not. I did ~all~ the available preps, and all of the Kaplan questions (in their books, anyway, I can't speak for their courses) are made up. They're the best made-up questions out there, but still made up.

well, there you go then....

BigTex

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 09:14:13 PM »
As others have stated, the Barron's prep book was HORRENDOUS. OK, i didn't do so hot on the LSAT so maybe i'm not a good judge. But I studied w/ a good buddy of mine who tested in the low 170's. We worked some of the Barron's practice tests together and after each we both looked at each other and said "I think i just got dumber".

There was one other prep book that was totally worthless, by REA. Can't remember the name of it, just remember it was REA. Geeez louise - another book guaranteed to lower your LSAT score.

Both myself and my LSAT-genius study buddy liked the LSAT 180 book. I think it was the best one out there.

yk84

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 11:11:24 AM »
it's better than the princeton review one. it makes more sense if you use the book as a supplement to a test prep course or something along those lines.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 11:13:27 AM »
One caveat - don't start using it a couple days before the exam.  I did, and it seriously damaged my confidence until I realized that these questions were in the book for a reason - they were hard.  But it was particularly good for the games - really exposes you to the hardest questions out there!