Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Malcolm X Special on PBS February 21  (Read 2568 times)

TTTchick

Malcolm X Special on PBS February 21
« on: February 20, 2005, 08:59:19 PM »
There will be a one-and-a-half hour Malcolm X special on Monday, February 21 on PBS. The special is scheduled to commemorate the 40th anniversary of his assasination. Check your local listings. (It starts at 9:00PM in my area.)

rohan

Re: Malcolm X Special on PBS February 21
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 03:19:00 PM »
There will be a one-and-a-half hour Malcolm X special on Monday, February 21 on PBS. The special is scheduled to commemorate the 40th anniversary of his assasination. Check your local listings. (It starts at 9:00PM in my area.)

Thanks alot.

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 11:51:18 PM »
This is showing (at least up here in southern new england) through Monday Feb 28. It'll be repeated 7 times.

That having been said, did anyone see it? And what did you think?
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

billyflynn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 02:25:22 PM »
This is showing (at least up here in southern new england) through Monday Feb 28. It'll be repeated 7 times.

That having been said, did anyone see it? And what did you think?

It was pretty damned good.  It made me dislike Louis Farrakhan even more.  What's funny is the whole "black
nationalism" thing is almost the same as conservatism...we need to help ourselves.
I knew this would happen:
Kent or Loyola LA...well I have til' June 11th, as I'll be heading off to the Netherlands for work.

HKrustofsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 03:06:13 PM »
The one I saw was longer than 1.5 hours...part of the American Experience series. It wasn't that great. I've seen much better bios, but this one had interesting moments. AMong others, they interviewed his siblings, including the brothers that sold him out, Yusuf Shaw (I wanna choke that guy), Ossie Davis and Elijah Muhammad's son. That was the first time I'd heard him talk about Malcolm X.

I think other programs have done a much better job of showing his emotional turmoil and internal struggles.  This piece seemed to gloss over his experience in Harlem, prison time, fall-out with the Nation, and Hajj in a kinda ,matter-of-fact way. I guess that's the result of relying so much on interviews with others, including people that either didn't know him well or that sold him out. I was surpised to see how little of his own words/speeches were used.

It seemed more like a History Channel show. The viewer got a lesson on the life of Malcolm X but not really what he was all about.

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 10:05:39 PM »
I agree with both of you. I thought it was good. But also felt that more could have been presented. Perhaps a 2 or 3 part series would have been more appropriate and provided the viewing time to cover such an extraordinary life.
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve