Law School Discussion

$$$ Sense

$$$ Sense
« on: February 20, 2005, 02:04:01 PM »
appolgies for the pun in the subject matter.

So, I wrapped up my applications on Jan. 30th and have started getting decisions (actually, all but one of my apps are pending...i got into my safety - UofH).  I figure now's a good time to think about paying for law school.

I get the impression that schools, when they accept you, will have made a decision on whether or not to offer you money for law school, and if so, how much.  Are there any steps (besides mentioning on your application that you're interested in aid, which almost everybody does) a prospective law student has to take for this to happen?

It's just hard to believe that there's not much you can do as far as scholarships/grants are concerned once you've filed your applications.  It's hard enough sitting around twiddling my thumbs waiting to hear from everyone in the top 14.  Also, anybody have any advice regarding loans?  I don't have a problem borrowing money for law school. 

I'm 22, and have been working as a software engineer for the past few months.  My only personal contribution to law school is going to be a savings of somewhere in the $9-10K range.

Any responses you guys have are appreciated.  Even if they're to diss the horrendous and cliched pun in the subject line of this post.

Re: $$$ Sense
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 03:36:15 PM »
If anybody'd like to post what they've done or are going to do with regards to law school money, that'd be appreciated too.

Xony

• AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 03:37:38 PM »
loans.

J D

• Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 03:44:12 PM »
Have you filed your FAFSA?  NeedAccess forms (about half the schools on your list will demand this one as well)?  If not, they should be done yesterday!  So high-tail your derrière over to the following websites:

FAFSA:  http://www.fafsa.ed.gov

NeedAccess:  http://www.needaccess.org

Hope that helps.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 03:54:27 PM »
thanks...filling the fafsa right now.  but should i send fafsa/NeedAccess to every school i've applied to, or only schools that i eventually am admitted to?  all my applications are still pending.

needaccess mentions that some schools elect to pay the $15 fee for the student.  is this only admitted students or any prospective student?  how do i find out?