Law School Discussion

Loyola New Orleans v. Denver

be10dwn

Loyola New Orleans v. Denver
« on: February 20, 2005, 11:29:25 AM »
Any thoughts?  I'm leaning toward Loyola because it seems like they may place in a broader section of the southwest rather than probably being limited to Denver after graduation.  Loyola's Alumni seem pretty strong so that seems like a major plus as well.  What do you all think?

Re: Loyola New Orleans v. Denver
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 12:29:34 PM »
I don't know all that much about either school, but I'd definitely choose Denver myself.  While I'm sure the top kids can go lots of places, I think both schools are for the most part local, and I'd choose Denver over New Orleans after graduation for sure.  Also, Loyola grads are gonna have lots of competition from Tulane and LSU grads (schools that can generally be considered more prestigious) whereas Denver grads will be up mostly against Colorado kids, and I'd think in Denver the two schools would be pretty close to equivalent in terms of rep and job prospects. 

Really, though, I think it's just the personal decision of choosing between Colorado and Louisiana.

be10dwn

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 08:36:59 AM »
any other thoughts?

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 08:39:56 AM »
Denver = Brrrrrr

N.O. = warm

Oneof2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 08:56:13 AM »
I know nothing about Denver but I am seriously considering Loyola-NO.  I love New Orleans and wouldnt mind settling down there.  I know that Loyola has a good reputation in the area and in New Orleans in particular.  Surprisingly, there is not too much competition from Tulane grads as most of them move away after graduation.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 09:06:06 AM »
I will try to add something constructive rather than joking around.  I don't know anything about Denver.

I applied to Loyola-NO after I met with a Loyola alumnus.  He is a trial attorney in PA and NJ.  He was extremely enthusiastic about the school.

Basically, this was what he told me.

Advantages:

Night life is great for depressurizing after finals, studying, etc.
It is warm
Large city
Good place to study international law (England, US, and Australia are lone common law countries)
Produces good trial attorneys
Great alumni network
Easy to get a night job if needed (many places open 24hrs)

Disadvantages:
Lower bar passage rate
Can be expensive without scholarships
You have to pick common law, civil law, or combined curriculum (could be an advantage??)
Competition among Tulane, LSU for local jobs
It gets humid in NO

Nole

• Go Noles!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nolegirl290@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 09:09:59 AM »
be10dwn what are your numbers?

be10dwn

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 07:26:23 PM »
be10dwn what are your numbers?

GPA - 2.X
LSAT 161

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 09:35:29 PM »
DU is highly respected in Denver.  The facilities are sweet.  The area is quaint and eclectic, fairly close to Cherry Creek, which is the Beverly Hills of Colorado.  John Elway just opened up a restaurant there. 

If you do a good job of networking, you can come out of DU with a very cush position in Colorado.  As far as Denver goes, the weather is fairly moderate, contrary to popular opinion.   It will snow 6 inches one day, and the next day will be a sunny 70 degrees, and the snow will be gone within 48 hours.  One hour from the slopes.   30 minutes from Boulder, which is an awesome little town.  Most everybody that I have talked to from DU absolutely loves it there. 

Hope some of this helps. 

calliemae

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 09:22:42 AM »
Essentially, I believe if you want to practice in CO go to Denver, if LA (not L.A.) then Loyola. They both are highly regional schools so odds are that the vast majority of job offers will come from the immediate area after graduation. That is just my understanding regarding Denver and I know this for a fact regarding Loyola as I have many friends that are alumni.

Any thoughts?  I'm leaning toward Loyola because it seems like they may place in a broader section of the southwest rather than probably being limited to Denver after graduation.  Loyola's Alumni seem pretty strong so that seems like a major plus as well.  What do you all think?