Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Capital & OSU -- Is a transfer possible/advisable?  (Read 645 times)

Ladybuglaw05

• GPA: 3.21 LSAT: 156
    • View Profile
Capital & OSU -- Is a transfer possible/advisable?
« on: February 20, 2005, 01:32:03 PM »
Does anyone think that there would be any sense in trying to transfer from Capital to OSU after the first year?  I know that my numbers aren't strong enough to get into OSU, so I didn't even apply, but I want to go there for 2 main reasons; 1) my cousin graduated from OSU Law School last year and immediately got a great job @ a Columbus firm and I'm sure that she could help me network in Columbus, 2) b/c I'm really interested in International Law (undergrad is Foreign Affairs/Political Science) and Capital has no IL track or concentration.  That being said, I'm sure my cousin's connections would be helpful if I went to Capital as well, plus the $11k per yr. Capital offered for tuition could mean that I graduate w/ under $50k law school debt.  Does anyone know if it is hard to transfer out of Capital?  I know the admissions process has driven me crazy this far and I'm not sure that it would be worth the hassle to do it again!   :-\

alkiremays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Capital & OSU -- Is a transfer possible/advisable?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 10:32:12 AM »
Does anyone think that there would be any sense in trying to transfer from Capital to OSU after the first year?  I know that my numbers aren't strong enough to get into OSU, so I didn't even apply, but I want to go there for 2 main reasons; 1) my cousin graduated from OSU Law School last year and immediately got a great job @ a Columbus firm and I'm sure that she could help me network in Columbus, 2) b/c I'm really interested in International Law (undergrad is Foreign Affairs/Political Science) and Capital has no IL track or concentration.  That being said, I'm sure my cousin's connections would be helpful if I went to Capital as well, plus the $11k per yr. Capital offered for tuition could mean that I graduate w/ under $50k law school debt.  Does anyone know if it is hard to transfer out of Capital?  I know the admissions process has driven me crazy this far and I'm not sure that it would be worth the hassle to do it again!   :-\

I thought I posted back to you before - maybe not?  I'm planning on looking into the same thing - but honestly, you should have applied to OSU.  People with your stats do get in.  If you do well enough at Capital you probably have a shot at transfer.  I wouldn't count on your cousin's connections all that much.  Just my two cents...

Name Changing Queen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 06:28:20 AM »
I'm considering going to OSU next year, and my husband to Capital.  He would like to transfer to OSU later as well... I have asked around about this and the answer I have been told is that you can only transfer to OSU if "your  LSAT and UG GPA stats would have been competitive with the regularly admitted students"...  Some schools have this sort of policy.  SO you have to do really well your first year, and have good stats too.   I wonder though, if you were kind of close to the bottom of the group they accept, would that be considered competitive? I mean, isn't your actual 1L performance a better predictor of how well you will do in law school than an LSAT?
Practice LSATS: 180, 182, 183, 184
Practice GPA: 3.75, 3.81, 4.33

Ladybuglaw05

• GPA: 3.21 LSAT: 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 12:57:58 PM »
I'm considering going to OSU next year, and my husband to Capital.  He would like to transfer to OSU later as well... I have asked around about this and the answer I have been told is that you can only transfer to OSU if "your  LSAT and UG GPA stats would have been competitive with the regularly admitted students"...  Some schools have this sort of policy.  SO you have to do really well your first year, and have good stats too.   I wonder though, if you were kind of close to the bottom of the group they accept, would that be considered competitive? I mean, isn't your actual 1L performance a better predictor of how well you will do in law school than an LSAT?
I spoke with an OSU grad who said that is their "disclaimer" of sorts. It is intended to encourage only truly serious candidates to apply, and they really do consider your first years work over your UGPA & LSAT.  I can't say if this is the truth, but when I inquired about the same scenario @ Case Western they said the 1L performance is far more important in their evaluation. I don't think I'm going to transfer now anyways, b/c from what I've heard it is just as easy to get a job in Columbus coming from OSU or Capital, and if you do well @ your first job it hardly matters where you went to law school. Hope that's true!

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 10:05:38 PM »
Last year, I almost did the same thing in regards to going to Capital with intents to transfer to OSU. But I read on the Vault site with the Gold membership under the section about the different schools, some people complaining about how Capital makes it hard to transfer. I also heard from some other people that Capital was a hard school to transfer out of. They make it as difficult as possible. Some schools do that by delaying rank or splitting up credits. I decided against working in Ohio so I just let the whole thing go. Good luck.