Law School Discussion

UH, Hofstra, Pepperdine, or Seattle?

UH, Hofstra, Pepperdine, or Seattle?
« on: February 19, 2005, 11:44:31 PM »
These are my top 4 considerations. Tied for 5th are Chapman and McGeorge because of money.

Some people say rank is most important, some say money is most important, and some say praciticing in the state you want to live in is most important. Which is it really?

Right now, University of Houston is winning the race--highest ranked AND cheapest by far. So, does anyone know if UH is largely regional or can I get a job in CA when I've finished my JD?

If having low debt and practicing in CA are both important to me, is UH a good choice? Or would Pepperdine be better? What about the others?

Xony

• View Profile
Re: UH, Hofstra, Pepperdine, or Seattle?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 11:46:24 PM »
Can't speak for others - but UH is most definitely regional. It's very well respected in Houston and in the state of TX in general.  Now why you'd want to practice there is a whole other questions.

j/k I'm from Houston :)

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 11:51:30 PM »
How could a school that highly ranked be regional? I don't get it.

Is Pepperdine more regional or national? Would my JD travel better from the other schools? I just have a hard time with the idea of paying 5x for a lower ranked school, just so that I can get a low paying public interest law job in CA. But if I'd never be able to leave TX, is the low cost and high rank really worth it?

Xony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 11:54:06 PM »
How could a school that highly ranked be regional? I don't get it.

Is Pepperdine more regional or national? Would my JD travel better from the other schools? I just have a hard time with the idea of paying 5x for a lower ranked school, just so that I can get a low paying public interest law job in CA. But if I'd never be able to leave TX, is the low cost and high rank really worth it?

Well, the national schools are the top 10 - maybe top 20.  UH is nowhere near that range.  It's a great school for the $ you pay, but I do think you'll be tied down to TX, at least initially....but there's nothing wrong with that.  You can do a lot worse than TX. 

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 12:02:17 AM »
Are you serious? Only the top 10 are national? I find that both sad and  hard to believe.

I'm obviously not top 10 material. So let's think mobility within my range of schools that would actually take me.

My fiance isn't a fan of TX and I haven't been in 10 years, so at this point, neither am I. I wouldn't want to be "stuck" in any state. The thought of not having options (even if the only one you have is the only one you really want) scares me.

Xony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 12:13:10 AM »
Well think about it, why would a law firm from..say San Diego...go to Houston to interview for associate possitions?  They simply wouldn't...they  have plenty of great choices in their own state.  Now why would the same firm go to Harvard? - because  Harvard's exceptional...UH isn't.  I'm not saying it's impossible to find an out of state job, I'm just saying it's harder.  Also consider the bar.  You'd probably be most comfortable taking it in the state where you study.

If anyone disagrees with my assessment, please chime in.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 12:17:31 AM »
This is making me depressed . . . I hope this is only true of BigLaw and if you want to do PI it doesn't matter. Tell me that's true. Please, please, please. I'm terrified of LS debt.

Xony

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 12:19:22 AM »
oh.  I don't know anything about PI.  So hopefully I'm wrong and you can go to any school and get a job anywhere.  I was just talking about biglaw.  good luck

coal

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 12:24:49 AM »
Houston is definitely a regional school. According to USNWR 97% of the Class of 2002 was emplyed in Texas and students only ended up woking in a total of 5 states. Of the schools you have mentioned Pepperdine might be the most "national". 72% of their 2002 grads stayed in California, but students were employed in a total of 19 states.

Houston seems to only feed into the TX markets, but I'm sure after a few years you would make the contacts and have the experience to leave TX if that is what you wanted.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 12:29:48 AM »
oh.  I don't know anything about PI.  So hopefully I'm wrong and you can go to any school and get a job anywhere.  I was just talking about biglaw.  good luck

Sorry, I know you were trying to help and I didn't want to sound contrary. I just didn't want it to be true. Damn, back to the drawing board with my "decision".