Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's USD like  (Read 1357 times)

katesq

• View Profile
What's USD like
« on: February 19, 2005, 09:30:40 PM »
I heard that USD was snobby and fairly conservative. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Also, does anyone know what there specialties are? Thanks

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What's USD like
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 10:58:22 PM »
They bave a decent tax program. My uncle went there and is now on the board there after being partner at Jones Day doing tax law stuff...so i guess it went well for him.

The atmosphere...I have to qualify it by knowing where you are coming from. I grew up in LA and SD all my life so there is no real huge change. Most SD people are laid back and not really LA type, but you also have a high label sense too. The people are the best looking you will see in the US. Many would disagree with me...but seriously here its numbers. You take 100 random people in NYC or LA or Atlanta or Miami...whatever against 100 randoms in SD, and SD will come up every time. We also work out and try to keep in shape a lot more than most people. If you are fat, pale, and ugly, will you stand out? Sure...but we arent haters. Politically we are very very middle of the road. If you are from SF, we would seem conservative, if you are from the South, we would seem liberal. We are mostly conservative/moderate dems and reps....who support the military cause its so ingrained in our culture. I'm a minority and havent faced racism here. People make jokes about stuff like that, but its all in good fun and no one means anything by it. etc etc...message me if you want to know more about the city or school.
I will miss LA :-(

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 11:04:07 PM »
I heard that USD was snobby and fairly conservative. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Also, does anyone know what there specialties are? Thanks
It is my understanding that USD is conservative in the same way that San Diego is conservative. Factor in the reality that many of its undergraduate population are kids from solidly wealthy areas of town, and you have a pretty snobbish mix. USD may be snobbier than average, and maybe more conservative than average, but it is not as conservative as Pepperdine law, nor as snobbish as, say, USC. Stereotypes are true, but the degree of the stereotype is highly overblown.
I ascribe to the philosophy that specializing in law school is not a good idea unless your obsessed with a narrow field of law, like Maritime Law or Tax Law. I am unaware of any specialty for which USD has been given great accolades. It is a great school, in an AWESOME city, with the best Climate outside of the Canary Islands. On the down side, there is a glut of law schools in San Diego, which is a small legal community comparatively speaking, and many top jobs go to UCLA and USC grads who have had enough of LA.

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 12:37:57 AM »
I haven't been to San Diego, but I heard it's real nice.  They offered me pretty much full tuition, but I'm still undecided whether I'll take it or not.  It would be nice to live in paradise, but it's about as far away from my family as you can get.  Since I'm close with my family it might tough to handle the distance.

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 03:57:36 PM »
Come check it out for yourself. Undergrad rep...which heavily influences grad school rep pretty much takes over for this school. Some of the kids i know who went to USD were rich, hot etc. But most of the law kids i know there are smarty foo foo intellectuals...so go figure.

LionelPutz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 04:15:46 PM »
How hot are the girls compared to UC-SD? and how does campus life compare between the 2 schools?

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 04:43:13 PM »
How hot are the girls compared to UC-SD? and how does campus life compare between the 2 schools?

So lets compare the 2 schools (even though UCSD doesnt have a law school)

UCSD: probably in one of the best/richest area of SD; kids are smart, but not geniuses; guys look better than girls; girls are NOT hot, you have a handful, but ratio is f*cked; mostly science based school, which leads to a lot of dorks/ugly people (no offense intended); no social scene whatsoever.

USD: in an 'ok' area of SD; kids are bright, but not super smart; girls are beautiful and plentiful; social scene is 'ok', but there isnt really anything nearby save Pacific Beach which isnt super close.

DumbMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 04:09:29 PM »
I've lived in San Diego for most of my life and am graduating from UCSD this spring and I agree with most of what Ronin said. USD is conservative in the sense that it is a Catholic school but the actualy student body and faculty aren't any more conservative than any other school in my opinion. As for snobby, the fact that USD is commonly referred to as the University of Spoiled Daughters should let you know about that. However, that really is referring to the undergrad and not the law school. Just as the undergrad is heavily female while the law school is not. The undergrad girls are beautiful and plentiful and much hotter than the girls at UCSD. As for specialities I know that the Constitutional Law faculty is pretty top notch. UCSD is pretty much a science based school with a great political science program. The science graduate programs and the medical school are consistently ranked at the top and are highly competitive. It attracts a lot of brilliant professors because of the research money but alas there is no law school. My only real disagreement with ronin is that the guys at UCSD look better than the girls. I will admit that there are not hot girls at UCSD but the guys are the same (that's why my SO goes to State  ;) )

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 06:04:58 PM »
I've lived in San Diego for most of my life and am graduating from UCSD this spring and I agree with most of what Ronin said. USD is conservative in the sense that it is a Catholic school but the actualy student body and faculty aren't any more conservative than any other school in my opinion. As for snobby, the fact that USD is commonly referred to as the University of Spoiled Daughters should let you know about that. However, that really is referring to the undergrad and not the law school. Just as the undergrad is heavily female while the law school is not. The undergrad girls are beautiful and plentiful and much hotter than the girls at UCSD. As for specialities I know that the Constitutional Law faculty is pretty top notch. UCSD is pretty much a science based school with a great political science program. The science graduate programs and the medical school are consistently ranked at the top and are highly competitive. It attracts a lot of brilliant professors because of the research money but alas there is no law school. My only real disagreement with ronin is that the guys at UCSD look better than the girls. I will admit that there are not hot girls at UCSD but the guys are the same (that's why my SO goes to State ;) )

I guess the guys are as bad as the girls  :P

But comon! A state guy?!? I guess that isnt that bad. I went to a few parties there over time, and i have to say, the talent isnt bad. Still, the guys seem to think they are still in high school and the girls have some major fupas from all the drinking. Its funny how diverse the differences between the 3 major SD schools are...