Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Case Western?  (Read 1299 times)

Aaron37

• View Profile
Case Western?
« on: February 19, 2005, 07:34:31 PM »
Has anyone visited Case Western?  The area around the school looks AMAZING.  What is Cleveland like?  Any info on the school and location would be greatly appreciated.  thanks.
Attending: Tulane

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Case Western?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 08:57:20 PM »
You have an insanely wide range of schools you applied to man
I will miss LA :-(

Aaron37

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 09:08:15 PM »
You have an insanely wide range of schools you applied to man

Haha, thanks.  Well, i'm from New Orleans so it is always an option to go back.  I like Texas so I wouldn't mind staying here.  Then I applied to schools that waived the app fee (ie. Case, Temple, W&L).  Then after that I thought I would give it a shot at some reach schools and see what happens.  I'm wide open, just looking for new experiences.  Cleveland would definitely be new.
Attending: Tulane

KappaOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 09:09:35 PM »
Has anyone visited Case Western? The area around the school looks AMAZING. What is Cleveland like? Any info on the school and location would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I haven't visited Case yet, but I'm planning to go up for the Preview Day for Admitted Students on March 18.  I've heard good things about the school, I'm just curious about city of Cleveland.  I've made other posts on this cite attempting to get feedback on the city.  I've heard some good and some bad.

Overall, it seems like Case has a nice campus, but there seem to be some dilapidated neighborhoods close to campus.  

AmericanConsumer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 02:56:30 AM »
i'm a 1L there... i can try to answer any questions you've got.  There are some pretty dumpy neighborhoods in cleveland.  no denying that.  around the school it's alright though.  little italy is nearby which is cool, tons of italian restaurants.  The really crappy areas are between case and downtown.

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 03:03:00 AM »
How is the overall job market in cleveland??
HUSL 1L

KappaOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 03:18:28 AM »
i'm a 1L there... i can try to answer any questions you've got. There are some pretty dumpy neighborhoods in cleveland. no denying that. around the school it's alright though. little italy is nearby which is cool, tons of italian restaurants. The really crappy areas are between case and downtown.

Thanks for the feedback AmericanConsumer!  Would you be willing to share the pros and cons of attending Case? Also, do you know how close the Hotel Intercontinental is to campus?  That's where I plan to stay when I visit.  Another question.  How generous is Case with scholarships?  There's no way I can afford to attend without a decent scholarship offer.  I did receive a $200 voucher to visit the campus and I'm hoping that's a good sign that they want me to attend and will follow up with a solid scholarship offer. 

How long on average does it take to hear back about scholarship funds?

Thanks for your time and help with these questions.

AmericanConsumer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 03:28:21 AM »
teh job market as a whole?  or just for lawyers?  as a whole i have no idea.  the legal jobmarket seems to be alright though.

pros of case:  the professors are great and incredibly accessible (every single one i've had has been willing to talk to people after class... our torts and crim professors would stay after class for up to an hour sometimes just answering questions) 

the people are great.  i love my classmates.  i also like the administration, and career services actually seems to be on the ball. 

there's a lot of extra help available, which is good.  they have a program called AEP (academic enrichment program) where they take a couple of 2ls who had your profs last year and they have meetings once a week and answer your questions and stuff.  a lot of people don't go to them, which is dumb, because it's free help, and it's pretty useful.

drawbacks - it's expensive.  if you get scholarship money that does take some of the sting off.  right now the library is pretty messed up because they're remodeling it.  i thought that construction would be done this summer, but i was mistaken.  it's going to be done in october.  it is only bad during hte day.  you've got to fight for a seat sometimes.  at night it's alright though...

if you want anything specific e-mail me americanconsumer@gmail.com

edit: they're pretty good with money.  it took me maybe 3-4 weeks to hear from them re: scholarships.  i'm not sure where the hotel is... if you've got a car it shouldn't be a problem... the only thing i can say is mapquest the address and see. 

Il Stupido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 08:43:30 PM »
The hotel is at the Cleveland Clinic, which is a 5-10 minute drive, depending on when you're making it.

It's nice here. I'm a senior living just off campus in Cleveland Heights. There are a lot of apartments and old duplexes nearby, and rent is quite reasonable.

Lots of cultural stuff around to fit any budget. For example, you could go to a Cleveland Orchestra concert or Cleveland Playhouse performance and fork over $50 for a ticket, but you also have the University's theater and dance department and music department productions, which are quite respectable and cost $5 or less to attend. Of course, as a student, you'll get huge discounts to the more pricey events anyway, so it's easy to find affordable entertainment.

After four years I'm ready to get outta Cleveland. Honestly though, Case is a great place.
Accepted: Ohio State, Georgetown, GW
Waitlisted: Michigan, Virginia