Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 170+ Scorers on the LSAT: How did you study?  (Read 3286 times)

V00Jeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 170+ Scorers on the LSAT: How did you study?
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2005, 10:52:02 AM »
I started out testing in the 150's or so when I first took the test.  When it came to game day, I got a 176.  The key for me was just practice, practice, practice.  I took 3 full-length tests a week, studied the answers that I got wrong, and did several other exercises a week (mainly in games, which was initially my worst section).  I did this for a little over a month -- I basically devoted most of my time to it after I graduated in May (I took the June test).

But yeah, the practice helps a ton.  With that much practice, it wasn't even fair to put me in the same LSAT room as everyone else.  I developed a sense of intuition based on what I identified as the common tricks and mistakes of the test.  The intuition was so accurate that actually doing the problems almost became a sort of backup.  And I got wicked fast.  For the most part, I did each section twice and still had time left over to relax.  Plus, I was so used to taking the long test that my concentration never flagged.  Oh and also, after getting a ton of practice tests in the 170's in the weeks leading up to the test, I probably wasn't as nervous as most of the other test-takers.

Moral of the story: however you do it, study your a$$ off!  It's worth it!
Attending: Columbia

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2005, 02:42:14 PM »
I am taking the Kaplan course in May.  I know the LGB and LRB are like the Bible around here.  Can I do it without them :)?   

Not if you're taking Kaplan.  If they are available in your area, drop Kaplan like a hot potato, if it's not too late, and take Testmasters180.com or Powerscore.  They are much better than Kaplan, which is improving, but has a long way to go.

If you are sticking with Kaplan, toss LSAT180 in the trash and get ahold of LRB/LGB today.  You will understand once you start Kaplan how much more sophisticated the bibles are to Kaplan.

quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

JBBroadShot

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2005, 03:05:56 PM »
I went from a 159 cold to a 174 actual through testmasters.  I basically studied almost every day for 2 months, doing a lot of timed practice tests, and doing almost every problem in the course (which by the way consist of every real LSAT Q in existence, so if you want a good prep course, go TM).  If you take a good prep course like TM and just study your ass off, you should be fine.

UCLA '05 - Philosophy
HLS '09

JRG83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2005, 03:16:07 PM »
i took kaplan, did all the required homework (and the 'suggested homework'), and increased my score by 1 point.  when the course was done (about two weeks before the LSAT) I read the princeton review LSAT book and my score finally started improving substantially.  Do not take Kaplan.  You are better off just taking many practice tests on your own.

KatieLady

• AOL Instant Messenger - KatieGDelSoul
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2005, 03:59:26 PM »
I didn't take any courses - I think they are probably a waste.  I bought a Kaplan book, read through it and picked ou the good tips.  Then I bought a couple of the "Ten Actual, Official Law School Admissions Tests" (or whatever they are called) and took 11 or 12 of them while timing myself and taking the break or two they offer you during the test.  It worked like a charm, although it meant some really sunny summer days in the city library.  My score went up at least a point with each test I took (save a couple. . . ).  I went from a 159 to a 170 on the practice tests, and scored a 170 on the actual test. 
3.79/170
10 for 10 on the acceptances
DECISION: Boston University
OTHER ACCEPTANCES:Chicago, Michigan, Penn, BC, Minnesota, American, Villanova, Maine, W&M

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2005, 08:43:40 PM »
Kaplan SUCKS!

My diagnostic (first official practice under realistic conditions) 163

My real score 163

It was a huge waste of money.  Even worse, I couldn't take them up on the guarantee because I missed only three little practice questions.

cindy7410

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2005, 08:58:56 PM »
My suggestion is to practice with the real tests only. And You might want to keep tight timing and finish 3 sections or 2 sections and the sample writing without any interuption everytime. Of course you should often go back to visit the problems that cause you trouble and make sure you understand why you get them wrong. It will be very helpful if you can make some additional notes about the mistakes you made and go over the notes now and then.
Feb LSAT: 177
UGPA: 3.7

V00Jeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2005, 08:03:11 PM »
I agree with what other people are saying: practice as much as possible with real tests.  I would say, though, that the Kaplan 180 book was uniquely helpful.  I definitely would recommend that one.  I wouldn't take the class, though.  I just don't see what advantages it offers that you wouldn't get from reading the books.  Plus they're freaking expensive.  I didn't take a class, and I did fine.
Attending: Columbia