Law School Discussion

Constitutional Law Carrer

Re: Constitutional Law Carrer
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 01:56:46 PM »

Tons of civil liberty public-interest groups out there -- ACLU, etc.  Also, consider into going into drug policy reform; many constitutional issues there -- fourth amendment, privacy, freedom of expression etc.

Not to be greedy or anything - but I'm pretty sure I'll graduate with lots of debt.  I feel like, unless I get loan forgivness, those sorts of jobs just won't be economically viable.

ilsox7

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 01:57:22 PM »
Hey man - it's worth a shot - I applied to like 8 super-reach schools - you never know.  Best of luck with WashU :)

Thanks!  Did everything remotely possible to better my chances, so we'll see.  Getting into IU would relive lots of stress though.  We'll see!  Good luck at your top choices...some of my favorites there that you applied to!

Jennaye

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 01:57:36 PM »

Tons of civil liberty public-interest groups out there -- ACLU, etc.  Also, consider into going into drug policy reform; many constitutional issues there -- fourth amendment, privacy, freedom of expression etc.

Not to be greedy or anything - but I'm pretty sure I'll graduate with lots of debt.  I feel like, unless I get loan forgivness, those sorts of jobs just won't be economically viable.

Then don't go into constitutional law.

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 01:59:05 PM »

Then don't go into constitutional law.

Touche.  :) I s'pose you have a point.

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 02:38:20 PM »
Now, by "top" i assume you mean HYSCCN - not so much G-Dubs or WashU? 

Brian Leiter made a list of what schools placed the most clerks at the Supreme Court between 1991 and 2001. Harvard, Yale, and Chicago are the big winners, but it's possible to get there from other schools. You really have to be at the top of your class, though, and get a good federal appellate clerkship first.

The list: http://www.utexas.edu/law/faculty/bleiter/rankings02/clerkships.html

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 02:40:17 PM »
Whoa -- George Washington has absolutely none!  That's sobering.

Now, by "top" i assume you mean HYSCCN - not so much G-Dubs or WashU? 

Brian Leiter made a list of what schools placed the most clerks at the Supreme Court between 1991 and 2001. Harvard, Yale, and Chicago are the big winners, but it's possible to get there from other schools. You really have to be at the top of your class, though, and get a good federal appellate clerkship first.

The list: http://www.utexas.edu/law/faculty/bleiter/rankings02/clerkships.html

kristay

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 02:41:39 PM »
Thanks for the info/link, ethelmag!

carlsonjd

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 02:48:22 PM »
I'm also interested in constitutional law so I'm going to jump onto this board in order to get tommorow's updates.  Thanks.

P.S. Also from Chicago, the city not the university.

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 05:23:44 PM »
I just discovered that Leiter updated his Supreme Court clerks list through the current term. You can see the new list on his blog: http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2004/10/supreme_court_c.html

There's a ray of hope here for the GW-bound: they had one student make it to a Supreme Court clerkship within the past couple of years.

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 05:35:20 PM »
Two things:

1) If you want to do con-law, go to GW!  The Supreme Court IS in Washington.  As you've allready realized, the most viable option that you have is working at a big firm, while fulfilling your con-law interest through pro bono.  It will be much easier for you to get a job with a big DC firm coming from GW than it would be coming from a regional school in a different region.  All of the DC firms hire GW grads.  Even the elite firms -- as long as you have kickace grades.

2) This will be a long shot...but the other career move you might want to consider will be working as a con law professor.  From what I can tell, most con law profs do appelate or S.C. work on the side -- especially those working at GW or Georgetown.  Getting a prof job will not be easy; it's not easy for anyone who isn't coming from Yale or Harvard.  But again, if you get really awesome grades and make the law review, you might have a shot at it.  And, again, you'll want to go to GW...because you'll be able to make connections there that might later land you a prof job at GW, which is where you'd want to be.