Law School Discussion

Constitutional Law Carrer

Constitutional Law Carrer
« on: February 18, 2005, 12:43:07 PM »
Call it extinstential crisis - but for the past six years I've loved loved loved constitutional law - particularly first amendment.  Hence, law school applications.  However, are there any real "constitutinal law practices" out there? I assume the answer is no.  Are there any real options besides working a big law firm and being able to do pro bono on the side for cases I find interesting?  There isn't so much an application process to nab a spot on the Supreme Court.

ilsox7

Re: Constitutional Law Carrer
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 01:33:08 PM »
There isn't so much an application process to nab a spot on the Supreme Court.

U.S.S.C. clerkships are the most elite, difficult jobs to get.  Basically, you're looking at the top students from the top schools in the country.  What is much more attainable is a Federal Court Clerkship.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 01:40:02 PM »
Now, by "top" i assume you mean HYSCCN - not so much G-Dubs or WashU? 

ilsox7

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 01:43:47 PM »
Now, by "top" i assume you mean HYSCCN - not so much G-Dubs or WashU? 

Honestly could not tell you.  I would assume we're talking Yale, Harvard and Stanford.  But I am sure someone will chime in saying that anyone can get one.  I think it is safe to say that while chances are slim to get a U.S.S.C. clerkship, they are even more reduced the further down the prestige chain you get.  Not really an area I have looked into, but maybe I will do a little research here tonight.  Let me know what you find and I'll do the same.  :)

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 01:45:44 PM »
Awesome - I'll keep you posted.

ilsox7

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 01:48:19 PM »
Are you leaning toward GW or Wash U?

Jennaye

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 01:49:20 PM »
Call it extinstential crisis - but for the past six years I've loved loved loved constitutional law - particularly first amendment.  Hence, law school applications.  However, are there any real "constitutinal law practices" out there? I assume the answer is no.  Are there any real options besides working a big law firm and being able to do pro bono on the side for cases I find interesting?  There isn't so much an application process to nab a spot on the Supreme Court.

Tons of civil liberty public-interest groups out there -- ACLU, etc.  Also, consider into going into drug policy reform; many constitutional issues there -- fourth amendment, privacy, freedom of expression etc.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 01:51:23 PM »
Leaning towards GW.  I'm from Chicago - so WUSTL is very attractive - but in terms of my future career goals - I think I would prolly go to a school which has more east coast recognition.  That being said - if WUSTL gives me some mula, it might be a different story - GW is ridiculously expensive, as is Fordham (but, the more I consider it Fordham would be too confining to the NYC area).  Overall, however, I'm hoping on an acceptance from Duke/Michigan or Cornell, so my decision would be made for me (I would go to one of those three, clearly)

ilsox7

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 01:53:02 PM »
Leaning towards GW.  I'm from Chicago - so WUSTL is very attractive - but in terms of my future career goals - I think I would prolly go to a school which has more east coast recognition.  That being said - if WUSTL gives me some mula, it might be a different story - GW is ridiculously expensive, as is Fordham (but, the more I consider it Fordham would be too confining to the NYC area).  Overall, however, I'm hoping on an acceptance from Duke/Michigan or Cornell, so my decision would be made for me (I would go to one of those three, clearly)

Cool, from Chicago too.  WOuld love Wash U. but am concentrating on hopefully getting accepted at my top target before gettign caught up too much in getting in a reach.  ;D

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 01:55:29 PM »
Hey man - it's worth a shot - I applied to like 8 super-reach schools - you never know.  Best of luck with WashU :)