Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern! ICK  (Read 977 times)

lonahawk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Northwestern! ICK
« on: February 18, 2005, 02:10:26 PM »
Definitely got that expected rejection earlier today -- no work experience doesn't help iffy numbers at NWU!

twelvehundred

Re: Northwestern! ICK
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 06:32:41 PM »
No sweat.  I think you'll get into a few of those that are still pending.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 06:39:38 PM »
Did you interview?  I'm convinced that's what pushed me over the edge.

lonahawk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 07:24:47 PM »
Did you interview? I'm convinced that's what pushed me over the edge.

Yep, I interviewed.  But I don't think that I was particularly strong - not weak or anything, but she ended the interview essentially by saying "once you get a couple years of WE, we'd love to see you re-apply"  Not a good sign, I suppose.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 08:33:31 PM »
Did you interview? I'm convinced that's what pushed me over the edge.

Yep, I interviewed.  But I don't think that I was particularly strong - not weak or anything, but she ended the interview essentially by saying "once you get a couple years of WE, we'd love to see you re-apply"  Not a good sign, I suppose.

That doesn't sound like a very positive interview.  I bet that's what hurt you.  Take heart in knowing other schools in the T14 likely won't hold your lack of work experience against you so much.  I had the opposite interview experience, which is why I'm sure it pushed me over the edge considering my horrible GPA.

toms1234

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 09:29:45 PM »
I just got to say your 2.8 in EE at Penn State is not horrible.  I bet you did poorly in the filter classes like physics or something, but your other courses were pretty good.  I'm sure the adcomms saw this in your application.  For engineers that perform well in most courses, but had trouble with a few tough physics/chem courses early on, I don't think it's that big a problem.

Of course, I'm speculating that's your history.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 09:47:02 PM »
I just got to say your 2.8 in EE at Penn State is not horrible.  I bet you did poorly in the filter classes like physics or something, but your other courses were pretty good.  I'm sure the adcomms saw this in your application.  For engineers that perform well in most courses, but had trouble with a few tough physics/chem courses early on, I don't think it's that big a problem.

Of course, I'm speculating that's your history.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt, but my GPA was pretty steady throughout college.  Just about every semester from freshman to senior year, I got a 2.90, +/- 0.10.  There were a couple exceptions, like the first semester of my junior year when I dropped a class and finished with only 11 credits and perfect 2.00 average.  But for the most part I slacked off consistently throughout college.  I know adcomms look positively upon upward GPA trends, but this was not the case for me.  It is possible they cut me general slack for my engineering degree, but for the most part I believe my success so far is attributable to my LSAT performance and work experience. 

lonahawk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 02:21:44 AM »
Meh - so far I'm 0 for 3 and I don't see much positive news coming in the future.  Well, cheers to a top-twenty, I suppose.

That doesn't sound like a very positive interview. I bet that's what hurt you. Take heart in knowing other schools in the T14 likely won't hold your lack of work experience against you so much. I had the opposite interview experience, which is why I'm sure it pushed me over the edge considering my horrible GPA.

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 02:45:40 AM »
Definitely got that expected rejection earlier today -- no work experience doesn't help iffy numbers at NWU!

I'm more surprised at how ND waitlisted you. Gimme a break. You have 75% type numbers for ND.
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

lonahawk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 10:32:31 AM »

I'm more surprised at how ND waitlisted you. Gimme a break. You have 75% type numbers for ND.

Yeah - well, I heard that they're being particularly rough on applicants who clearly show no interest in their school - I have no alumni connections or anything like that.  It was jarring to get the letter because I too found it unexpected.  But, in all honesty, I could never see myself in South Bend.