Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ding at Penn  (Read 1881 times)

garnier

• View Profile
Ding at Penn
« on: February 18, 2005, 01:35:08 PM »
I just got rejected from Penn after being deferred early. I obviously can't read Meeker's mind, but I suspect yield protection was at work here, particularly since I didn't write any of the optional essays (most notably the Why Penn). Anyway, both Columbia and NYU are higher choices for me, so I'm not really affected by the news.
4.0 / 169, Ivy

Attending: Harvard
Also Accepted: Cornell, UVA, NYU, Michigan, Columbia
Rejected: Penn, Yale

Infoolio

Re: Ding at Penn
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 01:39:44 PM »
Yield protection is for people who will obviously get into a higher ranked school.  People with URM status and 170ish LSATs or people with 179s/4.0s in challenging majors. I don't think 4.0/169 is a gimme at any school ranked higher than Penn.

garnier

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 01:44:50 PM »
You might be right, Info. Still, it seems odd that both NYU and Columbia would accept me pretty early in the game while Penn wouldn't even waitlist me. Ultimately, though, the reasoning behind the decision isn't knowable.
4.0 / 169, Ivy

Attending: Harvard
Also Accepted: Cornell, UVA, NYU, Michigan, Columbia
Rejected: Penn, Yale

Infoolio

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 01:46:53 PM »
You might be right, Info. Still, it seems odd that both NYU and Columbia would accept me pretty early in the game while Penn wouldn't even waitlist me. Ultimately, though, the reasoning behind the decision isn't knowable.

In your shoes, I'd take Columbia and run through the streets with it. Some people argue it's on par with Stanford (it probably is on the East coast). I wouldn't even worry about Penn when you probably (barring some miraculous scholarship)  wouldn't go there anyway.

greenbean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 02:23:43 PM »
Also rejected at Penn today.  Deferred from EA

(3.85/171)

unclerico

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 02:28:16 PM »
sorry to hear about the bad news guys.
just curious, did it come via email or snail mail?
good luck everywhere else!

greenbean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 03:08:06 PM »
I am not crushed about the rejection.  I didn't have any intention of going there and I probably should have withdrawn.  Serves me right I suppose.

Came by snail mail, small white envelope.

lonahawk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 03:13:07 PM »
Sorry to hear the rough news -- Looks like you have better schools/locations to choose from anyway!

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 03:46:53 PM »
I got deferred as well (but wrote essays) and I really hope I don't get a ding in the mail today. I live about an hours drive from Philly, where do you live?

I am not crushed about the rejection.  I didn't have any intention of going there and I probably should have withdrawn.  Serves me right I suppose.

Came by snail mail, small white envelope.

greenbean

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 05:47:55 PM »
Washington, DC.  I imagine if you didn't get the letter yet, you won't be getting one in this round of rejections.

Good Luck!