Law School Discussion

Would anyone go to Rutgers over Wake Forest??

Re: Would anyone go to Rutgers over Wake Forest??
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 03:31:18 PM »
Yeah that's the problem with Wake, I've been hearing that their regional rep isn't even all that strong.  There's so many things about this school that just makes me skeptical...the small city/town...the rep is so-so...the average startin salary is trash (60k private I believe)...bar passage rate is well below state average...employment upon graduation tiny (I think like maybe a little over 1/2)

I just don't know about Wake, rank is pretty good but everything else kinda sucks

Wow, that's shocking.  This is the first I've heard about Wake.  I applied there because of their solid T1 ranking and location - although at the time I applied, I assumed they were located in "the triangle" with Duke, UNC, and NC State :)  Still, anywhere in NC has gotta be a great place to live.  You never hear anyone disparaging even T3 schools within their own region very often.  If what you say is true, I wonder how much longer Wake will remain a T1 school?

Ok, to be fair to Wake, I checked to make sure my numbers were correct (was pullin off the top of my head what I'd read a few weeks ago) and my numbers were a bit off

The average starting salary is about 71k (Wake's site says 76 and IRLG says 67 so I figure it's somewhere in between)- but that's still kind of garbage.

And the bar passage rate is 90% (though the state average is 95%), and employment upon graduation is about 70% (still trash).

Well, I guess Wake still isn't lookin all that great...

What, do you think you're going to graduate from law school and make a billion dollars a year? An average (or median) of $70,000 is not bad at all.

And you have to realize the area it's in - $70,000 in the WF region could be equivalent to $100,000 in a big city.  ::)

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 08:18:56 PM »
Ok, I've gotten into both and let's assume these are the only schools I get into (still waiting to here from 17 schools but I'm just expecting the worse so I won't be too disappointed).  Which would be the better decision?

Wake Forest is ranked higher, a lot higher in fact, but Rutgers has a really good regional rep and the startin average salary is much higher.

I'm also from NYC and I just don't know if I could tolerate a small southern city (didn't think about this til after I applied)

What does everyone think?

Keep in mind, all law schools teach the same courses, more or less. Further, teaching quality and intellectual accomplishment are unrelated; some of the best law instructors are found at Tier 4 schools, and some of the most brilliant and utterly incompetent instructors are found at Top 10 schools. So, the truth is, you will get the best education possible at the school which encourages you to do your best. That is a personal question, and as such, no one's opinion is worth as much as your own.  The rankings are absurd, and in the case of USNWR, rankings are largely a reflection of the average LSAT of entering students. So, in a way, rankings are an example of a tail wagging a dog. Average starting salaries are a function of where graduates work, and less of how good the school is. New York Law School has a starting salary that would make a lot of top 50 schools envious, and far outpaces many much higher in the rankings.
After the top 15 schools, where you go has little impact on your opportunities for employment. Making law review at Rutgers will put you in a much better position in the job market, particularly in the NYC/NJ area, then being "average" at Wake Forest. And 3 or 4 years out of law school, no one will care what school you went to--a firm would much rather hire a great litigator, from what elitists call a "TTT," who can make the firm millions over a Harvard graduate who will only make the firm a few hundred thousand.  So unless you plan to practice in North Carolina, or suddenly fall in love with the south, go with Rutgers.

Fishdog

• Rarrrrrr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005, 01:41:40 AM »
as an nc resident, i can say that wake does have a very good reputation, but more so on the undergraduate scale, i think. i actually know quite a few lawyers here (and one DA) who attended wake. outside of nc i couldn't say much about the reputation. winston-salem however is not the greatest place in the world, although wake's campus is nice. and w-s isn't even close to the triangle of duke, unc, and ncsu -- an area that is growing to an amazing degree.

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2005, 09:23:55 AM »
as an nc resident, i can say that wake does have a very good reputation, but more so on the undergraduate scale, i think. i actually know quite a few lawyers here (and one DA) who attended wake. outside of nc i couldn't say much about the reputation. winston-salem however is not the greatest place in the world, although wake's campus is nice. and w-s isn't even close to the triangle of duke, unc, and ncsu -- an area that is growing to an amazing degree.

Yeah when I realized Wake wasn't near the triangle I really kicked myself for not applying to Duke.  Not that I would have had a great chance there, but I figure I'm borderline enough to make it worthwhile.  The reason I didn't apply to Duke is that I got my second LSAT score back so late in December.  When I saw  how much I had increased my score by, I fired off a couple last minute apps to a couple schools I would not have even bothered with otherwise.  Duke was one of the ones I wanted to apply to, but they required a dean's cert and I thought it wouldn't be worth the time and effort to get that done since it was already so late in the application cycle anyway.  Boy do I regret that decision now.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2005, 10:15:42 AM »
Ok, I've gotten into both and let's assume these are the only schools I get into (still waiting to here from 17 schools but I'm just expecting the worse so I won't be too disappointed).  Which would be the better decision?

Wake Forest is ranked higher, a lot higher in fact, but Rutgers has a really good regional rep and the startin average salary is much higher.

I'm also from NYC and I just don't know if I could tolerate a small southern city (didn't think about this til after I applied)

What does everyone think?

Keep in mind, all law schools teach the same courses, more or less. Further, teaching quality and intellectual accomplishment are unrelated; some of the best law instructors are found at Tier 4 schools, and some of the most brilliant and utterly incompetent instructors are found at Top 10 schools. So, the truth is, you will get the best education possible at the school which encourages you to do your best. That is a personal question, and as such, no one's opinion is worth as much as your own.  The rankings are absurd, and in the case of USNWR, rankings are largely a reflection of the average LSAT of entering students. So, in a way, rankings are an example of a tail wagging a dog. Average starting salaries are a function of where graduates work, and less of how good the school is. New York Law School has a starting salary that would make a lot of top 50 schools envious, and far outpaces many much higher in the rankings.
After the top 15 schools, where you go has little impact on your opportunities for employment. Making law review at Rutgers will put you in a much better position in the job market, particularly in the NYC/NJ area, then being "average" at Wake Forest. And 3 or 4 years out of law school, no one will care what school you went to--a firm would much rather hire a great litigator, from what elitists call a "third tier toilet," who can make the firm millions over a Harvard graduate who will only make the firm a few hundred thousand.  So unless you plan to practice in North Carolina, or suddenly fall in love with the south, go with Rutgers.

:worship:

yk84

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2005, 12:51:48 PM »
Hi,

I just got into Rutgers-Camden (found out on Fri). That's the only school I've heard from so far. I didn't know too much about the school aside from it's stats. How does it hold up reputation-wise? I'm also from NY, so I was planning to take the NY bar exam.

Thanks
Yk