Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rate my chances please.  (Read 890 times)

LaneSwerver

Re: Rate my chances please.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 03:20:43 PM »
Statistically, does anyone know how to calculate my chances of getting in to at least 1 of these schools? (I'm kind of curious how to do this anyway).

Take four pennies and write the names of your schools on them. Put an expty coffee can on one side of a room. Stand on the other side and throw the pennies at the coffee can. Whichever school penny ends up in the can is where you're going.

(I flunked out of statistics.)

Infoolio

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 05:07:16 PM »
Statistically, does anyone know how to calculate my chances of getting in to at least 1 of these schools? (I'm kind of curious how to do this anyway).

Take four pennies and write the names of your schools on them. Put an expty coffee can on one side of a room. Stand on the other side and throw the pennies at the coffee can. Whichever school penny ends up in the can is where you're going.

(I flunked out of statistics.)

It better be a pretty damn big coffee can........I don't know if you've tried this but it's hard as hell to hit a can across the room (unless you live in a perpetually repeating, Groundhog World)

jamiejamie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 05:08:38 PM »
After my first round of penny tossing, I went 0 for 4. Then I tried again and got in the Emory Penny. I guess this means I'll get in if I apply next year. What should I do until then?

EDIT: WAIT! I just read Info's last post! My can was too small so it didn't count!

LaneSwerver

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 06:53:28 PM »
Congratz on your acceptance to Emory!!!

Dazed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 07:44:46 PM »
163-169 LSAT (estimated,I just took it)

Curiosity... and boredom have the best of me. Under your little picture there(the one with the girl), you have your estimated LSAT range from 163-168. You currently just listed at 163-169.

Why the sudden change in optimism?

Also, I dislike the Dodgers.... very much. But I will however comment on your chances. With a 169 and your 2.4, I think your chances of attending 1 of the listed schools are actually excellent. They will "buy" a high LSAT and 10 year old grades are not that important as long as their is something noteworthy to say about you in the last 10 years... and you can get it in writing. Low grades and a 163 are not my forte, so I will let others comment.

Good luck to you, DODGERBOY!

hunterhogan

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.19/173
    • View Profile
    • www.hunterthinks.com
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 08:06:50 PM »
Working with the numbers 29%, 19%, 12%, and 12% as the chances you will get into 4 different schools, then the chance you will not get into any of them is

(100% - 29%) * (100% - 19%) * (100% - 12%) * (100% - 12%) =
44.5%

With some major assumptions that I will not go into, the rough estimate that you will get into at least one of the four schools is 55.5%.

I hope this helps.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 10:23:14 PM »
Working with the numbers 29%, 19%, 12%, and 12% as the chances you will get into 4 different schools, then the chance you will not get into any of them is

(100% - 29%) * (100% - 19%) * (100% - 12%) * (100% - 12%) =
44.5%

With some major assumptions that I will not go into, the rough estimate that you will get into at least one of the four schools is 55.5%.

I hope this helps.

I like my method better.