Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part time law school with kids & full time job  (Read 8377 times)

rajumper

• Hairball
    • View Profile
Part time law school with kids & full time job
« on: July 27, 2002, 06:14:44 AM »
Greetings!

Does anyone out there has any comments, suggestions, stories, etc. about their LS experience while attending an evening program and working a full time job and with children (and a supportive spouse!) at home.  I greatly appreciate any information you care to share!

Anonymous235

Re: Part time law school with kids & full time job
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 07:08:03 AM »
I think it may be very difficult to attend school part time in the evening while working full time and raising children - especially if your children are in school.  This means you would only see them on weekends, assuming you have extra time after all the studying.  I have four children and will be attending full time in the day and working parttime in the afternoons.  It helps that my school is within walking distance from my job, that I have an understanding boss - I am a legal assistant in a law firm - and a helpful husband.  It also helps that my children are pretty independent with their school work, and I have a good support network of relatives, neighbors and friends willing to land a hand.  I hope to be home by 6 p.m. every day, and I have to leave by 9:40 in the morning after I've put them on the bus.  It will still be tough, but this is what I want to do and I hope it works.  Good luck to you!

dogtown

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2002, 12:20:46 PM »
I am about to start my second year.  Here are my thoughts on time and law school.  

You will be slammed to the wall with work.  You will be pinned down, and it will take huge effort to be properly prepared.  You will work hard on wekends.  You will not have spare time.  If you have kids, dont expect law school not to affect your relationship with them.  While I encourage anyone who dreams of going to LS to do it, I thinks its crazy to even think about working and having children and going to law school.  Its crazy.  Not trying to be negative or scare anyone, but even part time students are slammed.  Those who work allow their grades to suffer.

My thinking is this.  If your going to law school, go to win.  Dont work unless you absolutely, positively must.  You should put the time you would be working into school and family.  Take the extra loans and just deal with it.  You will be competing against students who are devoting ALL their time to studies.  How can you expect to be competitive without at least somewhat similar efforts?

Good luck whatever you do.

rajumper

• Hairball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2002, 01:13:23 AM »
Thank you both for your candid comments!

Anonymous235

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2002, 11:36:13 AM »
Dogown: Thanks for the advice.  I think you're right that law school is hard, everyone says so.  however, I think different people have different energy levels.  It also matters what type of job you have and the location, as well as how many hours you work.  My boss happens to be very reasonable and helpful.  I worked there full time for two years while in college and was allowed to do many school papers while "working."  The attorneys even helped me when I needed it.  Some of them worked while in law school and still managed to do well.  I have always been a good student, and I intend to do well in law school.  Of course, I would not continue to work unless I absolutely had to, and right now I think I do.  If it proves to be too hard, I'll quit and hope I can still manage financially.  I appreciate your input though.

Dera Johnsen

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2003, 07:53:29 AM »
I would have to disagree with those of you who are discouraging someone who has the desire to further her education.  I am a 26-year-old single mother.  My daughter is now eight, and I have earned my undergraduate degree in the evenings (one evening per week) while working full-time as a paralegal with a 3.96 GPA.  On those evenings in which I was not in school, I was with my daughter until bedtime, which is at 8:00.  I studied after she went to bed, and also some on the weekends.  I have now been accepted to Marquette University's part-time evening law program (two evenings per week), which will start this August.  I guarantee you I will succeed at this as well.  I suppose it all depends on how badly you want something.  My daughter sees how hard I work, and my hope is that she will value her own education that much more.  She is very proud to tell her friends that her mommy is going law school.

rajumper

• Hairball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2003, 07:39:28 AM »
Dera -

Congrats on your acceptance to Marquette's PT program. Being a single parent will be a great challenge but it sounds as though that is something you would welcome in order to be a success.  I am sure your daughter will be extremely proud to watch you walk across the podium in four years when you receive your diploma. What a terrific example you are to her.

I didn't really pay much heed to the previous poster's remarks about not pursuing law with kids.  I was really looking for some advise or stories from other LS students who have kids.  My guess is that person is not a parent and doesn't really understand what sacrifice really means.  At any rate, I am starting RWU part time program in Bristol, RI this August and couldn't be more excited and anxious to begin my new career and classes.  

Good luck to you and all that you may accomplish.