Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Capital, Cleveland-Marshall, Michigan State, Thomas Jefferson  (Read 1036 times)

Ladybuglaw05

• GPA: 3.21 LSAT: 156
    • View Profile
Capital, Cleveland-Marshall, Michigan State, Thomas Jefferson
« on: February 17, 2005, 04:48:35 PM »
So far my options are Capital w/ $11k,  C-M w/ no $, MSU w/ no $, and Thomas Jefferson w/ $14k.  Just interested in some feedback from others who are accepted/cotemplating attending any of these schools. I have no idea where I'm going...

andrea612

• View Profile
Re: Capital, Cleveland-Marshall, Michigan State, Thomas Jefferson
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 06:41:54 PM »
That all depends on where you want to practice law.  I wouldn't go to Thomas Jefferson, however, if I were you.  All of the other schools that you have been accepted to are regarded much higher than TJSL.  Since you have a scholarship money at Capital and since you could get in-state tuition at Cleveland Marshall (if not your first year, at least your second and third years), I'd choose those schools over MSU.  I like Capital mainly because I used to work for some really smart and admirable people who went to school there.  I also used to work for someone who went to CM, however, and he was pretty smart, too.  If I was going to choose between those two schools, I'd probably make my decision based on whether I wanted to practice in Columbus or in Cleveland.  I don't know...it'd be a close call.
Attending: Capital
Accepted:  Capital, CalWestern, Stetson PT
Waitlist, Accept: McGeorge
Waitlist:  Stetson FT(withdrew)
Pending:  Dayton
Rejects:  Toledo

Ladybuglaw05

• GPA: 3.21 LSAT: 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 08:02:21 PM »
It is pretty much between Capital and C-M right now, b/c I can't justify paying $20k per yr to go to MSU even though they have a decent International law program & they're excpected to increase in their rankings in the next few years.  I'm still waiting to hear from Toledo though, so that's another possibility.  The only thing I really dislike about Capital is the bar passage rate.  Did Capital offer you any $$$ yet?

andrea612

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 08:28:22 PM »
No, Capital hasn't offered me any $$$  :-\.  I haven't even seen my acceptance letter yet though because they sent it to my parents' house in MI (I currently live in CA).  My parents told me that they didn't see anything about any $$$ in the letter.  I'm hoping that since I filed my FASFA after my acceptance that there will be a financial award letter waiting for me in the mail one of these days.  I really wouldn't mind going to Capital (I loved living in Columbus as an undergrad, and really wouldn't mind moving back).  If they would just offer me some $$$, it would make the move a lot easier.  Then again, if Capital offers me $$$, it will be really hard for me to choose between them and Toledo (granted, Toledo accepts me).  I just can't wait for waiting period to be over.

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 08:36:16 PM »
By all accounts Cleveland Marshall is the Best school in the Bunch. I believe that they are on the rise. I am waiting to hear from them also. Excellent employment figures. Also the same with capital.  But I think Cleveland is the strongest. Cleavland is also cheaper. Money will play a big part in my decision.

DannyJunior

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 11:06:19 PM »
Capital really gets respect here in central Ohio, stats be damned. I told a bartender that I got into Ohio State, and she said "That's great! Capital's tougher to get into, though..." I just smiled and said, "Yeah, I know".

If you want to be here in the Columbus area - which I do recommend as a great place to live - then go to Capital. It gets more respect than Marshall around here. And personally, I really dislike Cleveland. Don't ask me why I applied to Case.  We all do crazy things when we fill out apps.

Maybe they will give me a scholarship, a stipend and a MASSAGE. A massage would be a deal-maker for SURE.

alkiremays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 08:47:16 AM »
Capital really gets respect here in central Ohio, stats be damned. I told a bartender that I got into Ohio State, and she said "That's great! Capital's tougher to get into, though..." I just smiled and said, "Yeah, I know".

If you want to be here in the Columbus area - which I do recommend as a great place to live - then go to Capital. It gets more respect than Marshall around here. And personally, I really dislike Cleveland. Don't ask me why I applied to Case.  We all do crazy things when we fill out apps.

Maybe they will give me a scholarship, a stipend and a MASSAGE. A massage would be a deal-maker for SURE.

Capital harder to get into than Ohio Sate?  I've heard locals say that too but I don't believe its true, do you?  I got into Capital and am waiting on OSU and thing the only thing that MIGHT get me in is my resume.  The only good news about Capital I've really seen is the PT programs and there are a few local firms who do conduct interviews there.

mexi-nate

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 01:43:15 PM »
It is true, Capital has a glowing rep in Columbus, it seems like people who don't spend the time applying to/researching law schools really don't know the difference, (i.e. Capital is considered by lots of people in columbus to be as good as Ohio State...truly baffling).  Once I was in California with my friend and his grandma was in the car with us, we drove by Thomas Jefferson and she pointed it out and commented as to what a great law school it was.  It sounded like she was talking about a harvard or yale, but it was Thomas Jefferson...kind of funny I thought

andrea612

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 02:16:17 PM »
It is true, Capital has a glowing rep in Columbus, it seems like people who don't spend the time applying to/researching law schools really don't know the difference, (i.e. Capital is considered by lots of people in columbus to be as good as Ohio State...truly baffling). Once I was in California with my friend and his grandma was in the car with us, we drove by Thomas Jefferson and she pointed it out and commented as to what a great law school it was. It sounded like she was talking about a harvard or yale, but it was Thomas Jefferson...kind of funny I thought

I really wouldn't compare Capital to Thomas Jefferson.  Here in California, I've had many people tell me that if I can't get in anywhere else that TJSL will always accept me.  Most everyone that I have talked to in the San Diego community (this includes both people who are in the law community and those who are not) refers to the law students at TJSL as those who couldn't get into USD or California Western.  A degree from there is not very highly regarded even in San Diego.  Since people in San Diego don't even look fondly on the school, I can't imagine that the job prospects would be very promising.
Capital, on the other hand, is highly respected in its own community.  As I found out when I lived in Columbus, many of the local firms recruit students from Capital...they like the school's programs and the graduates.  Also, since the people in Columbus (those who are not in the law field) regard Capital very highly, I think that would make it so CUSL graduates would have a pretty easy time finding clients there.  So, if you want to live and practice around Franklin county, Ohio, CUSL would be a fine school to go to.

alkiremays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 02:37:10 PM »
Unfortunately the only reason I'm living here is because my Dad's turning 80 this year.  Want my kids to grow up with him.  Otherwise, I'd be back in CA (grew up in Newbury Park) or in some other warm state.

I appreciate what you are all saying, but when my neigbor, who knows Cr*p about law, law schools, undergrad degress, etc., says she heard Capital was the more difficult to get into - it means SH*T.  I think if you're targeting clients who are charged with DUI, etc., it doesn't matter where you went.  If you're targeting firms, corporations, etc., it does matter.