Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ding at Howard  (Read 901 times)

SMarie

• Sr. Citizen
  • age 32, 2.94 UGPA, LSAT 150
    • View Profile
Ding at Howard
« on: February 17, 2005, 04:07:39 PM »
I thought I had a decent shot there.  Looks like I won't be getting into any program this cycle, which is really unfortunate since I know I would kick ass if given the chance.

In:  Univeristy of Baltimore PT
Out:  Catholic PT, Howard...
Pending:  GMU, American and GW (all PT)

Macul

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ding at Howard
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 04:52:20 PM »
Admissions won't get easier for you next cycle.  If you want to get into these schools you are going to need to do better on the LSAT. :-\

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 11:31:07 PM »
There are still schools that will take you and it's not too late. Get a few more apps in to other law schools if you really want to go. Howard doesn't know what they're missing. For example, every other T3 and T4 knows to bid on me with scholarships to keep my interest. Howard said, "Bah!" to that. Who needs 'em? Not you! Where else did you apply?

SMarie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 08:56:50 AM »
Howard wasn't an auto ding for me.  I was withing their range for GPA and pretty close to the LSAT ranges also.

My problem is I can't leave the DC area, which has some of the most competitive schools in the nation.  I applied to all the part-time programs including GMU, GW, Catholic, American and Univeristy of Baltimore.  I know most of them are MEGA reaches but I had to give it a shot.  I have significant work experience in the legal field and am 32.  I can't go back and change a GPA that is ten years old.  I was a different person then.  As far as the LSAT goes, I just don't do well on it.

I guess I am just bitter about the whole process.  I do a lot of substanative work for the firm for which I currently work, this includes drafting briefs, working on motions, drafting almost all of the correspondence to clients and tons of research.  I am more prepared to succeed in law school than most applicants, however, will not be given the opportunity due to one damn test.  I know its the way the system works and we can't do anything about it, but it is frustrating nonetheless.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 09:06:02 AM »
There is no reason why, with a little hard work, you cannot do better on the LSAT.  A 150 is below the national average and in my opinion, will get you into law schools that you don't want to waste the money on anyway.  I live in the northern va area and therefore also have to stay here in DC.  I know what you mean about the ultra competitiveness.  I have a 3.37, 162 which isn't bad, but not really good enough for most of the schools around here.  Kinda sucks but oh well.

Anyway, I have a bunch of LSAT resources and would happily give them to you if interested.  Obviously free of charge............
Attending GW in Fall '06

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 09:38:33 AM »
smarie...so sorry that you got dinged.

My first experience with the LSAT was last October.  My score was awful.  I went on a tour at Howard, talked to the Admissions office and it was STRONGLY SUGGESTED that I take to the LSAT again.  It really wasn't suggested, I was basically told that although I had a 3.5, excellent LORs and very unique work experience, I might be accepted (but probably not) and that I would not get any scholarship money.  The cutoff for scholarships at HU is 153.  I took the LSAT again in December, scored 7 pts higher and I was accepted to Howard (with $$) and even more to my surprise Catholic.  I am also a person that doesn't do well on standardized tests, so I also sent the schools a copy of my SAT scores (which I took 3 times) as evidence that my standardized test scores are not indicative of my performance in the classroom.

My suggestion to you is the same as what others have said.  Don't get too discouraged.  You can do better on the test.  Just 5 points can make all the difference.  I absolutely HATED every minute of studying for the LSAT and almost had a stroke after I decided to take it again....but now I can say that I am grateful that I did it.  It paid off.

Good luck!
Think before you speak.

SMarie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 09:47:40 AM »
Thanks for the encouraging words Roxie.  I realize five points makes all the differene in admissions.  The difference between a 150 and a 155 or 156 is huge!

My problem primarily is the games section.  I missed 17 out of 22 on that section, which demolished my score.  If I could somewhow master those, I would probably be okay but I haven't had the patience to sit down and practice/study them because I think they are so irrelevant and such a waste of time and have no bearing on your ability to practice or succeed in law. I have the Logic Games Bible and may have to break down this summer and sit down with it and try to figure them out.

By the way, how much money did Howard offer you?

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »
SMarie,

Sorry to hear about your struggles this admission cycle. The Washington area is extremely competitive.

Although I did not do well on the LSAT during the actual test, since I just do not test well. Took it 3 times thinking that I would be able to pull it together for the real deal and it just did not happen. I do not know if it is nerves, or something subconciously that just kills me during standardized testing because I do fine on essay and blue book testing, but that is not the point.

The point I want to make is that when I started taking practice tests I was scoring in the high 140's consistently. I worked my ass off studying for about 4 months and I was consistently scoring in the high 150's (156 to 158). In my experience, the games are the easiest section to learn because once you figure out how to win the games the answers fall into place. It is all a matter of how you grid the game and where you lay your pieces. If you buy a book on the games section you will definitely be able to improve your score. Good luck! :)
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 01:04:00 PM »
If games are your problem, then you should count your blessings.  I had the most trouble with Logical Reasoning which is 50% of the test.  Did you take a prep course?  I took Kaplan, which was a complete waste of money other than the fact that they constantly tell you that you CAN learn to do games.  On my first diagnostic I couldn't get through one game!  Also, go through the Logic Games bible as many times as you can and just practice, practice, practice.  Everyone here seems to recommend Testmasters or Powerscore.  If you know that you have a problem with tests, definitely shell out the money for a course.

Remember everything happens for a reason....maybe it's not meant for you to go to school this year.  You'll be fine.

I don't want to say how much $$ I got because I am paranoid about who reads these boards (I know, crazy but I can't help it), but I got very nice amount of money from Howard.  I won't be struggling for the next 3 years.
Think before you speak.

ambar713

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 01:37:56 PM »
DC schools are harsh.  I got rejected at Howard, Gtown, and GWU, but I got accepted to Emory and University of Miami... Howard's criteria is messed up (I would've raised their numbers, too).