Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who to talk to during visits?  (Read 1248 times)

dsmit56

• View Profile
    • Email
Who to talk to during visits?
« on: February 17, 2005, 12:45:52 PM »
I am going on a visit, should I try to set up a meeting with the Dean, or the Assistant Dean of Admissions? I would guess that the Dean would have more pull, but the Asst. would probably be more available.

ilsox7

Re: Who to talk to during visits?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 05:34:14 PM »
I am going on a visit, should I try to set up a meeting with the Dean, or the Assistant Dean of Admissions? I would guess that the Dean would have more pull, but the Asst. would probably be more available.

Generally when you call to set up a visit they will tell you who you can meet with. 

LaneSwerver

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 05:39:28 PM »
Try to meet with the janitors. They have the real dirt on the school.

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 10:56:30 AM »
Honestly, I found that the security guards had the best stuff to say when I visited Columbia and NYU last fall. They had no stake in whether or not I came to the school, so they were totally honest and open about their opinions of the students, faculty, etc. I thought they were a great source of info. :)
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale

LaneSwerver

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 01:11:48 PM »

Janitors?? Real Dirt?? Get it?? **sigh**

dsmit56

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 02:03:38 PM »
Your words slay me

LaneSwerver

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 02:04:57 PM »

Montanahopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 02:58:05 PM »
Whatever you do, don't talk to the salespeople (admissions). Talk to the consumer - students! They don't give a rip if you go there, and they'll have a better sense of what they bought. Also, talk to lawyers in the region where you want to work. See if a degree from XXX university carries any weight....at least, this is what I plan to do.
Hell, yeah: U. Montana, West Virginia, Gonzaga $, Willamette, Vermont Law School
Hell, no: U.Oregon
Hell, waitlisted:Seattle

LaneSwerver

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 03:16:27 PM »
Whatever you do, don't talk to the salespeople (admissions). Talk to the consumer - students! They don't give a rip if you go there, and they'll have a better sense of what they bought. Also, talk to lawyers in the region where you want to work. See if a degree from XXX university carries any weight....at least, this is what I plan to do.

Well, seeing as U. Montana is the only place to get a law degree in the state, it probably carries some weight!  ;)

lonahawk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 03:25:01 PM »
Don't talk to law students who the law school handpicked for you, either.  My friend works for admission for my UG and, although more down-to-earth and honest than admissions reps, they still have to spin every negative into a positive, at least.  Talk to some random people roaming the halls - get some honest feedback.