Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New England School of Law  (Read 3327 times)

elemnopee

Re: New England School of Law
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 09:42:53 AM »
It still might be a great school, go see it for yourself, and check out princetonreview.com they have a "What students say" section.

Infinite0

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2005, 07:40:41 PM »
My gf is a 2L there.  It's got no undergraduate affiliation, so the whole law school is just one building in downtown Boston.  It's in a nice area, lots of restaurants, easily accesible by subway, and the park is nearby.  She says they refer to it as the "Disneyland" of law schools, because it's just not as competitive as other, higher ranked, law schools in the Boston area.  However, from her own experience, that's just not quite true, there's going to be arrogant people at every tier.  There's no bookstore at the school, you have to use Suffolk's, which is probably two to three blocks away.  If it's a choice between fourth tier schools, it's not a bad move, but if it's between fourth and third, she suggests a third tier.   

As for apartment rents, be prepared to fork over a lot, it's expensive: http://boston.craigslist.org/aap/  Lots of students live in the Allston-Brighton area, but you can also live over in Cambridge, which has better (faster more reliable) train service, as well as South Boston (more and more gentrified), and Jamaica Plain (funky yet diverse community). 

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2005, 11:21:48 PM »
I'm a current NESL student. 

Would you swear you're telling the truth and nothing but the truth? 

FloridaLaw.  8)

mecavtp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 11:50:09 PM »
I am a 1L at New England, maybe I can shine some light on this discussion.  As far as education goes, you will receive as good, if not better then any other student at any law school in the country.  I assure you that at the end of your time you can go toe to toe with any law student from any school.  (For instance Nesl won best brief for moot court this year, beating out every Ivory and first tear school in the nation.) 
What you get at NESL is a very nice environment.  It's the kind of place where you can leave your laptop unattended for hours and have no fear of it being missing, where people do not hide research material in order to help their own class rank... you get the drift of the feel good helpful atmosphere. 
The professors are top notch, simply put only the best lawyers get any teaching positions, it is highly, highly competitive to be a law school professor. 
From experience I know students at BC and Harvard and I honestly don't think their education is any better, more complete, or prepares them more thoroughly. 
As the ranking, NESL ranks amongst the highest in the nation for student satisfaction, and unfortunately loses many points on the ranking system for not being associated with a university.
We do have a bookstore, that is not Suffolk's. 
I think that's it, my email is mecavtp@hotmail.com and my name's matt, feel free to ask questions if you have them.

ajumper

• AOL Instant Messenger - jumpergalway
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 08:16:46 PM »
Not too sure of the rep of NESL even after living in Boston for year.

But I can help with living expenses.  Yes Boston is very expensive.  Nothing is cheap, rent for somewhere decent you are looking at least 600/mth if you get lucky. Drinking, bars, clubs ect are not cheap either, food especially donwtown puts a dent in the wallet. I have lived in Brookline and Cambridge and definitely prefer cambridge.  Thered line is USUALLY more reliable than the green line but if you do end up living in brighton/allston/brookline area live on the C or D green line as they are far quicker than the B.  But on the plus side it is  great city to live in, always something to do, the red sox, plenty of events, cheap symphony etc
Hope this helps
Rejected by many but.....
In at BC and GWU.
Now what?

lhutz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 12:33:45 AM »
Um, sorry to disappoint, but b/c i am an actual NESL student (cross my heart and hope to die), i didn't have time to hang around reading posts on this site. i just happened upon it one night, and against my better judgment, decided to be helpful. silly me!  i don't know what else to say to prove that im a nesl student (graduating) and not a narc like some posters seem to think other than to dumb it down so that i seem more student-like.  i wouldn't go so far as ajumper to say that i would leave my laptop hanging around, but generally it's not psycho-competitive and fellow students are friendly and helpful (i used a stack of other people's outlines to help me with finals this year). I had some great professors: George Dargo for Conlaw ("john marshall in marbury v. madison is michelangelo painting the sistine chapel!") Gould for Wills, Estates and Trusts (one of the more useful classes i've ever taken). Negotiation with Brach was excellent. Legislation with Penders was a lot of work but you can tell from my first post i liked it. Modern Remedies is a class everyone should take for bar prep. Mass Practice with Donovan is a must if you are staying in Mass. post-bar.  Legal Theory was really fascinating in an ultra-nerdy way. 

The rent that ajumper talks about is pretty standard, although im an orange line baby coming in from somerville, which isn't too bad, but try to avoid living so far away from the station that you need to take the bus.  nothing more depressing than being on a T bus when you're tired.  the bookstore is down by new england medical center which is right in the chinatown area -- check out the shanghai on hudson st.  the suffolk law school bookstore is better, and they're perfectly willing to take $ from the unwashed who go to nesl.

so, that's about it.  great school, great city.  you won't be disappointed. you won't be in debt to your eyeballs.  you'll pass the bar.  you'll get a job. life's peachy.