Law School Discussion

Saying "No Thanks"

140am

• View Profile
Saying "No Thanks"
« on: February 17, 2005, 08:25:28 AM »
Should I say 'No Thanks," to Hofstra's offer to be on their waitlist?  I've been admitted to Buffalo, which costs half as much, and is ranked a couple of notches higher.  I am pretty sure that I'll want to work in either Philadelphia or Manhattan or the suburbs of either of those cities eventually, if not right after law school, and I think with Buffalo, I'd have a legitimate shot to accomplish any of those locations/goals.

I know with my 154, if I get into Hofstra, I won't get money to defray their high expenses, and the cost of living there is like 3.5x that of Buffalo's.  Is there any point in staying on their waiting list at all (other than wanting to know if I'll get in or not)?

140am

• View Profile
Re: Saying "No Thanks"
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 08:26:11 AM »
Furthermore, their application was free, so it's not even like I need to know just to 'get my money's worth' out of the application.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 10:43:06 AM »
If I were in your shoes, I would pick Buffalo unless you would like to live/work on Long Island. You have a great point about the cost of living and scholarships. But this doesn't mean that you shouldn't accept their offer to go on the wait list. What's the worst that could happen? Maybe you'll be suprised by what they give you.

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 11:38:36 AM »
If I were in your shoes, I would pick Buffalo unless you would like to live/work on Long Island. You have a great point about the cost of living and scholarships. But this doesn't mean that you shouldn't accept their offer to go on the wait list. What's the worst that could happen? Maybe you'll be suprised by what they give you.

Good point.  There could be the off chance that their class does not pan out the way they see it panning out and they offer me admission and a scholarship or something like that, at which point, Hofstra is a lot closer to Manhattan, Philadelphia, and Scranton (where my parents live).  I'll send in the waitlist acceptance, I suppose, but I probably won't think too much about it from here on out.

Anyone else with similar situations?

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 02:42:06 PM »
Well I'm not in a similar situation as you but I can give my 2 cents about Hofstra.  I have lived on Long Island my entire life and the cost of living here is just plain ridiculous.  Hofstra is ok, but honestly most of the people that go there are stuck up in the typical long island fashion and in my opinion its just not worth the loot.  I think your better off goin to Buffalo for the cheaper cost of living and because its ranked higher than Hofstra, so I'm sure you'll be able to get a job in ny or philly once your out. My only advise is if you pick Buffalo, buy a warm coat!

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 03:58:03 PM »
Well I'm not in a similar situation as you but I can give my 2 cents about Hofstra.  I have lived on Long Island my entire life and the cost of living here is just plain ridiculous.  Hofstra is ok, but honestly most of the people that go there are stuck up in the typical long island fashion and in my opinion its just not worth the loot.  I think your better off goin to Buffalo for the cheaper cost of living and because its ranked higher than Hofstra, so I'm sure you'll be able to get a job in ny or philly once your out. My only advise is if you pick Buffalo, buy a warm coat!

Yeah, it's going to be cold if I go there, but Philly and the Poconos aren't Florida, and 4 years in central PA for college also toughened me up quite a bit where the cold is concerned.  Plus it looks like a fun little town, and a good hockey town.  I don't know if I could dislike a place that invented chicken wings.  Now if only I knew what a 'Beef on Weck' was.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 02:07:36 PM »
 I think Buffalo is def an interesting town....and chicken wings rock!!  ;D

WOMBAT

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 12:31:40 PM »
Kevdog,

Hockey, beer, cold weather & chicken wings? My god, you are the perfect Buffalo prospect.

You're going to love Buffalo, I can tell already.
Also, you will succeed. I know about 5 Kevdogs in Buffalo and they are all doing very well.

Hey, I met my wife at UB. I hope you like girls that wear sweatshirts & sweaters. If like guys, I hope you like guys that wear thermal underwear & carharts.

Tell Hofstra that, until they can assure you chicken winged drunkeness in four feet of snow at 4 a.m., you will not be attending.   :D

(make sure you say it like "wing-ed" when you read that sentence)

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 12:49:53 PM »
Kevdog,

Hockey, beer, cold weather & chicken wings? My god, you are the perfect Buffalo prospect.

You're going to love Buffalo, I can tell already.
Also, you will succeed. I know about 5 Kevdogs in Buffalo and they are all doing very well.

Hey, I met my wife at UB. I hope you like girls that wear sweatshirts & sweaters. If like guys, I hope you like guys that wear thermal underwear & carharts.

Tell Hofstra that, until they can assure you chicken winged drunkeness in four feet of snow at 4 a.m., you will not be attending.   :D

(make sure you say it like "wing-ed" when you read that sentence)

Yeah, I love hockey and wings, and the cold doesn't phase me.  As for teh sweaters and sweatshirts thing, well, obvuously the attire in New Orleans or Florida is ideal -- sundresses, shorts, tank tops, etc., but there's always summer and I don't know if I'd be in Buffalo forever.  I would like a town with nice chicks, down to earth girls, I mean, seeing as how I'll probably be looking to meet someone once I get there.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 03:30:03 PM »
If it's cheaper to attend the higher ranked school,  how could you go wrong? Go to Buffalo. I LOVE Hofstra, too. But it's just too expensive. Unless I get the fellowship I can't go. Why would I move all the way across the country to go to a more expensive school where the cost of living is higher? It's hard to beat the enormous expense of Orange County, CA but Hofstra still manages to do so and it's just not worth it! It's sounds like you've already made your decision. You'll be happy at Buffalo.