I guess the UC system does have it's own little quirks. I was actually expecting to be accepted outright also, but the way things have been going lately, I'm not all that surprised. Problem is UC Hastings is definitely my 1st choice and I really want to go there, I just hope the letter I received is some automated thing and my chances of being looked at towards the summer are next to nothing. I am definitely willing to wait it out till August and if need be wait for next year.
Thank you for the encouraging words, and believe me, I hope you are right! I think I'll start campaigning for myself from now, so that they know that I am committed and willing to wait it out as long as need be.