Law School Discussion

Housing in Berkeley

lil_token

Re: Housing in Berkeley
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 09:21:41 PM »

JS

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 04:59:34 AM »
Follow up question... about how long does it take to find an apt. in Berkeley? Do most places have 1st of the month start?  Will I be SOL if I just come a couple weeks before classes start?!

Any advice is appreciated - I'm trying to make summer travel plans! Many thanks

lil_token

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 03:46:19 PM »
Follow up question... about how long does it take to find an apt. in Berkeley? Do most places have 1st of the month start?  Will I be SOL if I just come a couple weeks before classes start?!

Any advice is appreciated - I'm trying to make summer travel plans! Many thanks

Most housing options in Berkeley can be described as a combination of any or all of the follwing:

dirty
tiny
expensive
inconvenient
expensive
slum
expensive.

See a general trend here?  The apartment on the link above IS NOT indicative of a general trend in size, accomodation, price, cleanliness.  If you want a good deal, come early.

Typical 400 square foot studios in Berkeley run about 1000+.  I have a friend who lives in Berkeley and she pays 875 a month to live in the dining room of a three bedroom apartment.

maricutie

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 03:53:13 PM »
Sadly, this is true. I remember way back soph year my roomates and I got a place over summer because we wanted to get a good deal. Paying a month more in rent just to "secure" a good place is not uncommon. My third and fourth years I lived in a dorm-like setting, with my own private room (no kitchen) and a bathroom that I shared with two other girls, for about $670 a month, incl. utilities ... this was a ridiculously good deal, and probably still is. If you're interested, the place is called "Evans Manor," on Haste Street, and they typically have an viewing day for Cal Day (April 1st, I think). Come early ... I think they opened the doors at 11 am, and most leases were signed away by 1130 am. 

bobo21

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 04:44:43 PM »
I have a really nice 2 BR in a converted old victorian mansion and pay $1315/month.  16 foot ceilings, lits of storage, two parking spots.  We are two blocks from the Ashby BART station (I work in SF and my SO is a grad student at Berkeley) and maybe a 25 min walk from the school.  We are really close to the Berkeley Bowl (the only real supermarket in South Berkeley).  If you have a family I would really consider it.

Also, rents have gone down a lot.  Out neighbors who have the same apartment as us moved in 4 years ago, they used to pay $1800 and now they only pay $1300.  It really isn't that bad if you look at the right times.