Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Housing in Berkeley  (Read 1455 times)

erdosaen

• View Profile
Housing in Berkeley
« on: February 17, 2005, 12:30:10 AM »

Does anybody have any insight into the housing situation in and around Berkeley?  Is the waitlist interminably long for university-owned housing?  If I go off-campus, do I have to resign myself to a dank, small and overpriced place?  Is any search best done through the campus-sponsored, pay search engine?

Just a little about me: my move is complicated because I'm married.  I'm not really willing to leave my wife and my cat behind.  If there's anyone else that's been through the search for housing for two (and a half), I'd be happy to hear from you.  (Although, I would love to hear from singles too) 

bobo21

Re: Housing in Berkeley
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 01:28:15 AM »
Craigslist is a great place to find and apartment.  Finding a place is no prob if you look at the right time, I think the most vacancies happen in june, and in august things tighten up.

I would also suggest looking at South Berkeley near the Ashby Bart station and the Berkeley bowl, it is cheaper and you are still about a 10 minute bike ride from campus.

There are two of us and a cat so our situation is similar.

maricutie

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 12:25:09 PM »
I lived at Berkeley as an undergrad, so my advice might or might not be helpful in the grad student search. Generally, the on-campus dorms would be cramped and waaaay overpriced; the Clark Kerr dorms, which I lived in during freshman year, were the nicest on campus but were also the priciest. Berkeley went through a really bad housing crisis a couple of years back, so you still have some of the new converted-doubles-into-triples arrangmements. Also because of this housing crunch you'll see landlords being really picky about pets, and not really doing all that they can to upkeep the properties. Apartments near the campus are at a premium, with one bedrooms across the campus on telegraph ave (on top of the stores) going for around $1000 a month.

The further away from campus, however, the nicer, more modern and more affordable the apartments. I would suggest living near a BART station, either the ashby station or the Del Monte one, or even in Oakland. The difference in price and quality of living would probably make the commute worthwhile.

erdosaen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 12:58:11 AM »

First thanks have to go to Bobo.  Nice to know that a man, a woman, and a cat can make it in the big city. 

Maricutie, I've followed your prolific postings on the various boards.  So, belated congratulations on getting into Stanford.  And, of course, thanks for the advice.

Any suggestions on looking in Oakland?  A rundown of areas near BART?  It's been a while since I've been to San Francisco (and that as a visitor/sojourner of, at most, a few weeks) and, though I will be getting a map from the transit authority, it is nice to hear a rundown from those with firsthand experience. 

Again, thanks all. 

maricutie

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 10:43:29 AM »
thanks! :)

Unfortunately, though, I'm not too familiar with the areas in Oakland ... even if I were, though, the "nicer" areas tend to be in pockets throughout the city, so I don't know if would be of any help, anyhow. I suggest either living near the BART or near an AC Transit line (which will be free as a student). The 51 line runs all throughout oakland, if I remember correctly, and very frequently throughout the day. There are some apartments and houses along College Ave (also where the 51 runs) that are nice, too ... and also near many shops and restaurants. Don't get anything on MLK, though; generally not a good area.

Also, I suggest an area near the best buy and home depot, on san pablo and slightly south of the university. It's probably a good 30 min commute, but the area is nicer, and you have alot of things nearby for convenience. And parking is actually possible.

However, I suggest this website for more info: http://parents.berkeley.edu/. It's a collection of parents living in berkeley giving good, solid reviews and advice. Craigslist could be helpful as well, as it gives a good idea of the prices in the area and frequently has pics displayed.

Hope this helps!!! :)

erdosaen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 05:20:14 PM »

Maricutie, you were more than helpful.  Craigslist has given me a first look at what's available and the site for parents will help me parent myself. 

Anyone have any other thoughts?  Has everything already been said?

YellowSpringer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 07:54:01 PM »
My dad was a registrar at UCB in the 1960's and was in the building when the students occupied it. We moved to Oakland when I was little. Granted that I haven't lived in the area for 20 yrs, I think that some things haven't changed.

I agree with the statements about College Ave and MLK (Grove St in my day). The 51 bus is a great way to get up College Ave to campus. It also serves the Rockridge district, which I recommend.

Also, the Lake Temescal area and Hiller Highlands. Some parts of Oakland are bad, bad, bad, but some parts are quite nice. I grew up in the Montclair district, which is about 15-20 mins away and has bus service to campus. Many people in the hills have "in-law" apartments (zoning doesn't allow multi-family housing). My mom's in-law is 1 bedroom with a 50 ft redwood deck overlooking a canyon, and rents for about $800/mo.

The Berkeley Bowl is a great produce store that you should know about even if you don't live right there. I think that the area around Cedar and Solano are nice, too.

In general, the closer to the hills, the nicer and more expensive. You'll see lots of newer houses in the hills due to the fire-storm a few years back.

Good luck!

erdosaen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 10:41:35 PM »

Yellow,

Thanks for the advice and the good wishes.  I'm old enough to know that knowledge from twenty years ago is sometimes the best.

Trinitygunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • That's my baby picture?
    • MSN Messenger - kennfukuda@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Trinitygunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 07:55:26 PM »
Hey, i just moved from Berkeley a couple of years ago (2002), and here are my insights. Berkeley just recently finished a set of campus apartments on Channing/College or Durant/College. Also, the Manville Apartments are also really nice (reserved for law and grad students). Living in those places would allow you to not have a car (parking is a pain). Oakland is OK--cheaper, but honestly, your gas bill may make up for that, or you can always take the bus. When i graduated Berkeley, students had a bus pass each semester they were registered. Check out the berkeley housing website. Also, if you've got a family, domestic partner, married, etc. U-Village is REALLY nice. It's out in Albany, but there's a bus that takes you straight from U-Village to campus. Good luck!
final product...pending approval: 94 pages

erdosaen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 02:52:42 PM »

I applied for family housing at Berkeley.  The apartment in both sections (A & B) seem to be rather small and the new development seems spacious but pricey (above some of what can be found on market).  Anybody have any experience will family housing at the school?