Law School Discussion

maritime law

JackInTheBox

• Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
maritime law
« on: March 03, 2005, 09:55:36 AM »
anyone know anything about maritime law?  Particularly, I am interested in what kind of background lawyers have who go into this field.  I know some have worked in or grew up with shipping and boats and such.

I have not; but I am very interested.  I live not ten minutes away from Cal Maritime, a university program that does this exclusively.  A lot of their programs go into piloting boats and the basic trade of boating (navigation, knot-tying class?).

If anyone has an idea on what kind of coursework I could involve myself to be capable in this field, well that'd be great.

JackInTheBox

• Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: maritime law
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 09:06:06 PM »
Thought I would reply and put this at the top of the query.

Re: maritime law
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 05:08:30 PM »
I too have an interest in maritime law, since I live on a boat! From what has been posted on this and other boards, your best bet is to take whatever class(es) your school offers in admiralty/laws of the seas, etc and then try to get a job with a firm that specializes in that area during summers and after graduation. From what I've been told by virtually every lawyer and law student I know (I work with attorneys), they all say to not take a specialty program in law school (ie. JD/MBA. JD/LLM Maritime law), but rather get your JD and then work for a firm in whatever specialty you prefer and get trained that way. Also, it seems from what people say that there aren't that many openings for admiralty lawyers as it's such a highly specialized field.