Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GMU is starting to Ding  (Read 1295 times)

AgentRHE

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GMU is starting to Ding
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 10:34:06 PM »
Got my ding today... but I'm not exactly broken up over it.  I applied back during a political fervor in October, with the thoughts of moving to D.C.  I got over that idea, and had actually already pretty muched scrapped the idea of going to George Mason.

Still... the ding sucks.  AND it puts me below .500.   >:(
Attending: Wisconsin

Jgunnz

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.64, LSAT: (156+166)/2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 07:53:10 PM »
I really wish there was meaningful updated data on law school admission statistics.

George Mason is the perfect example in the ABA Approved law school book I have (2004 Edition). George Mason is listed as having the following stats:

3.50 - 3.74 and 160-164: 83/102 admitted.

Meaning that in total only 19 people were rejected with these statistics during the entire admissions cycle. However on law school numbers.com already the stats are 6/10 for admitted for this year. If this sample holds thats over a 20% increase in selectivity! People are getting into Emory and Fordham before G-Mason, is something wrong here?

Brooklyn Law Prince Scholar ($17.5K per year)

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005, 08:36:11 PM »
I really wish there was meaningful updated data on law school admission statistics.

George Mason is the perfect example in the ABA Approved law school book I have (2004 Edition). George Mason is listed as having the following stats:

3.50 - 3.74 and 160-164: 83/102 admitted.

Meaning that in total only 19 people were rejected with these statistics during the entire admissions cycle. However on law school numbers.com already the stats are 6/10 for admitted for this year. If this sample holds thats over a 20% increase in selectivity! People are getting into Emory and Fordham before G-Mason, is something wrong here?

As someone mentioned in another thread, a sample size of 10 isn't really adequate to evaluate this with.  That being said, I think it's clear that GMU is really hoping to continue their climb in the rankings.  The stats for their Fall 2004 admitted students are notably better than those from 2003 (which are the ones we see in the currently-available, "2005" USNWR.)  They just seem to be focusing on bringing in higher numbers each year.  I was admitted to William & Mary (ranked 29) - with money, no less! - and just got my WL letter from GMU (#38.)  Obviously, different schools are looking for different things, blahblahblah.  But it still looks like Mason's really shooting for another jump.
Attending: W&M