Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BLSD Fam--the truly unexpected happened to me today...  (Read 7730 times)

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
Re: BLSD Fam--the truly unexpected happened to me today...
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2005, 11:19:15 AM »
Congratulations SWB :)
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

NYBound05

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2005, 06:16:43 PM »
In @ Howard guys.  I didn't think they were gonna show me any love but they did...with a $10,000 per year scholly!  ;)

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2005, 09:54:25 PM »
In @ Howard guys.  I didn't think they were gonna show me any love but they did...with a $10,000 per year scholly!  ;)

That's cool  :). Congrats. I know some people *said* they would choose Howard over a T14. Would/will you? What are you leaning towards?

NYBound05

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2005, 01:11:16 AM »

That's cool  :). Congrats. I know some people *said* they would choose Howard over a T14. Would/will you? What are you leaning towards?

To be perfectly honest with you, Howard was never one of my top choices.  It wasn't because of its ranking, but because I'm not too keen on going to school in D.C.  I applied to Howard because of their history in public interest and because they offered me a fee waiver.

Unless I miraculously fell in love with the D.C. area and Howard offered me a LOT more than $10,000 per year, I would not choose Howard over Boalt OR Cardozo.  Additionally, from what I hear, according to their dean of admissions, Howard isn't as big in PI as they used to be.  They're allegedly trying to "prepare more lawyers for the corporate boardroom," instead of glorifying and continually living up to their PI legacy.  That turned me off of Howard big time and is another reason why I probably won't go there.

But foreal, I am NOT a rankings ho.  My future as a successful lawyer will NOT be solely dependent on the school I attend.  As of today, Dozo is still one of my top 2 choices, and if Rob offers me some money (remember, I wasn't offered a penny), I would be much more inclined to attend.  I didn't apply to many T14's b/c besides the names of many of them, not much more interested me about the schools.  I wouldn't turn down a great school that I feel is a perfect fit for me just for a T14 that I loathe. 

But what about you?  What made you choose Cardozo over other schools?  I don't know where else you got in, but if you were admitted to a T14, do you think Dozo would have still been in the running?  What about Howard?

SheLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2005, 10:45:24 AM »
Congrats SWB  ;D!  I'm sure you addressed this a long time ago but what type of public interest are you interested in?
It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Regal_Muse

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2005, 03:24:07 PM »
In my opinion, ranking is not important unless you want to work for a top firm or do a Scotus judicial clerkship. But for something like Public interest law, I really don't think it matters. I'm not sure about Dozo's reputation for public interest law, but Boalt has some amazing programs from what I heard. At the end of the day SWB05, go where you think you will flourish and gain the tools necessary to become a great lawyer. Johnny Cockran went to Loyola University in Ca, and he's an amazing attorney. An individual's success doesn't depend on where they go but how they apply themselves.

(Still hate boalt though).