Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OH MY GOD I GOT INTO BOALT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 9996 times)

bradzwest

Re: OH MY GOD I GOT INTO BOALT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2005, 10:18:21 PM »
As someone who studied as an undergrad with Boalt Profs/is a friend of the former dean/father in law to be is a Boalt Grad/grandfather in law to be is a former prof at Boalt I can tell you the school is at a crossroads.  There has been much written about its rankings decline...due largely in part to it being an underfunded public school.  Many feel (new dean included) that private money is needed to infuse the program with more resources in order to make it more competitive with the Stanford/Yales of the world.  The fear of legacy admits (buy a building get your kid in) disgusts the children of the 60's that hold Boalt degrees.  Once they start dying off...Boalt may become a different place.  I'm not an AA advocate...for very personal reasons and don't care to create another pointless AA thread when congrats are in order!  Believe this though...it is a school looking to create a unique intellectual community, they would not admit you if they didn't see you as a valuable asset.  Take pride in the acceptance and hopefully you'll become an alum that will keep this "not just the numbers" opportunity open for our children.  Best Wishes.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2005, 10:18:39 PM »
the point is that race alone doesn't explain it.  see the regal muse example.  also see ruskie, the white girl who got in last year with nearly identical numbers.

big cheer to boalt for looking past the numbers in general, and many more big cheers to SWB for having the extras that boalt wanted to see.  it's a fabulous school, and if you choose something else, i'm sure it will also be fabulous.

*vomits*

I think everyone knows why ruskie got in...

*vomits again*

BigTex

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2005, 10:26:14 PM »
OMG! what? post her grades?
didn't you learn your lesson about asking boalt people about their grades, tex?

I'm assuming this is a joke, but in case not, i learned the following: do not ever mention  anything about "grades" in conjunction with RG regardless of context or intent. But I will continue to assume that others can see when a rational argument is put forward in their favor.

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2005, 10:26:54 PM »
I don't understand why everyone on this board has to be a complete f-ing vagina...

Take this quote for instance:

"Sorry to be blunt, but that's a really low LSAT for Boalt.  I would think it would even fall in the auto-reject category.  Congrats on overcoming that.  Would you mind sharing what you think set you apart from the crowd?"

Or this:

"I am sure you got in mainly due to your excellent GPA and other achievements....but...Do you think you got in partially because of affirmative action?"

Honestly, why be a f-ing female private part? Just say, "Hey, you were admitted because you're black". It's okay. Everyone knows that schools lower the bar for black applicants. This is no secret. Everyone also knows that this practice is detrimental to both whites and blacks. Again, no secret there. Just f-ing say it.

The sad thing is that her LSAT (while too low for her to be admitted at most other top schools) isn't really that low for Boalt. That, inter alia, is why Boalt is such a T.T.T.

I assumed she got in because she was black, but I'd like to hear her accomplishments in hopes of somewhat dissolving that assumption.

As far as AA being illegal in CA goes, it may help explain RuskieGirl's acceptance.  Since there's not a magic box to check that gets your app a little more consideration, they couldn't just toss her without reading the PS.  I imagine she has a pretty good story to tell, and who knows, she may have come across as an URM in her statement.

crackiswhack

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2005, 10:31:52 PM »
the point is that race alone doesn't explain it.  see the regal muse example.  also see ruskie, the white girl who got in last year with nearly identical numbers.

big cheer to boalt for looking past the numbers in general, and many more big cheers to SWB for having the extras that boalt wanted to see.  it's a fabulous school, and if you choose something else, i'm sure it will also be fabulous.

*vomits*

I think everyone knows why ruskie got in...

*vomits again*
why?

NYBound05

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2005, 10:36:41 PM »
Thanks again for all the congrats (the sincere ones, anyways) :)

First of all, all of the people who couldn't accomplish what they set out and are ragging on my because I'm Black and got into Boalt can kiss my ass, and kiss it well, as I dance my way down to Boalt Hall.  That is, IF I even decide to go to Boalt Hall.  

It's so funny.  First of all, anyone who knows ANYTHING about Boalt knows they don't practice AA.  Dumbasses.  Besides, there have been URM's with much higher LSAT's than mine that were dinged at Boalt, while there are whites that have gotten in with numbers similar to mine.  Where's your logic there?  Assholes.  You guys don't know a damn thing about the application I submitted to Boalt, besides the numbers.  All of these invalid and completely unjustified assumptions, and you plan on being LAWYERS?  Boy oh boy, now THAT is comedy!   :D

Oh, and graduating at the bottom 10% huh?  I mean, it's so evident from my GPA that I'm a slacker huh?  You really nailed that one!  LOL.   Loser.  

I knew this would happen.  All I wanted to do was to give hope to some people out there that have split numbers like me but may have phenomenal soft factors, and these losers turn my thread into an AA debate.  >:( Whenever people get accepted for reasons that may not be attributed to LSAT alone, they get jumped on.  How insecure is that?  You guys should really be a little more modest with your insecurities. Have a little pride... just a little.

But whatever, I'm done with the topic and have spent too much time entertaining these trolls already.  Just wanted to say what needed to be said.  Never will I justify WHY I got into a school.  ESPECIALLY on a message board.  If people sincerely have questions about my application, they can pm me, and I may respond.  Otherwise, again, KISS MY ASS.  Who in the hell do you guys think you are?  And NO, I will not email my personal statement or any other documents that I feel are private, so please don't ask.  

On a lighter note, good luck to all of you out there in whatever school you decide to attend.  I wish you the best!  

BigTex

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2005, 10:37:10 PM »
I assumed she got in because she was black, but I'd like to hear her accomplishments in hopes of somewhat dissolving that assumption.

1. Why is it incumbent upon her to dispell your assumption?

2. Could your assumption *ever* be dispelled? lexylit gave evidence of her "worthiness" for Yale, but I don't think it convinced anyone who was dead-set on viewing her as unworthy. From my experience on this board, those who assume "unworthiness" are incalcitrant.

3. Eventually, due to all the personal badgering, URM's will simply stop posting their URM status. This would be detrimental even to the most rabid anti-AA law school applicants.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2005, 10:44:54 PM »
Otherwise, again, KISS MY ASS.  Who in the hell do you guys think you are?  And NO, I will not email my personal statement or any other documents that I feel are private, so please don't ask.  

The worst part about this is that you get all f-ing high-and-mighty about it. At least admit the fact that you reap the benefits of a discriminatory practice in law school admissions.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2005, 10:46:04 PM »
3. Eventually, due to all the personal badgering, URM's will simply stop posting their URM status. This would be detrimental even to the most rabid anti-AA law school applicants.

Umm...why? As if people wouldn't know?

bradzwest

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2005, 10:53:00 PM »
Boalt is just plain different... They do court some high numbers to remain high in the rankings, but they want something different.  It takes a certain person to thrive in the Berkeley legal environment.  Personally, it drives me nuts!  If you don't sample it you really have no idea...I'm off to the midwest to visit schools for the change of pace.  If there is something about you that is really unique (not skin color/tale from the Book of Job send in an app...you never know.