Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Keepin it tight in AND out the classroom!  (Read 9510 times)

NYBound05

Keepin it tight in AND out the classroom!
« on: February 16, 2005, 03:28:02 PM »
Hehe, what were YOU thinkin about when you read the subject?  ;)

Anyways, how do you law students juggle working out and going to law school?  I've been able to juggle going to the gym and doing undergrad, but sometimes it's HARD.  I can only imagine how difficult it is to study the way you want to and put in multiple hours at the gym.

I work out for 2 hours 4-5 days a week.  Do you guys think this is gonna be hard to maintain once in law school?  I've been working out since I was 14, and it's something I must do not only for aesthetic reasons, but mental reasons too.  But did any of you guys have to reduce your time spent working out to accomodate your hectic school schedule?

And what about gyms?  Were gyms in close proximity to your individual schools or did you have to commute?  I don't plan on bringing my car with me to the east coast, and I really don't want to travel ridiculously far to work out.

Can any of ya'll shed light on this?

CaliToD.C.

Re: Keepin it tight in AND out the classroom!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 04:15:25 PM »
Man working out is a requirement just like eating! Im gonna have to study 10 hours per day instead of 12 in order to maintain the diesel and keep my mind sharp.

NYBound05

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 04:29:55 PM »
Man working out is a requirement just like eating! Im gonna have to study 10 hours per day instead of 12 in order to maintain the diesel and keep my mind sharp.

Foreal babe, but is it really that simple to juggle the two?  I'm not really worried about not having time to work out; I'm worried about not having as much time as I'd like to work out.  You know I take forever, but a full workout is important, and just cannot be done in less than an hour.  An hour is pushing it for me, but possible.  Less than an hour, however, CANNOT be a routine work out for optimal results.

Oh, woe is us!  :'( :-\ :'(

SheLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 04:56:02 PM »
I feel ya'll on the gym thing.  Throughout undergrad, I've been waking up extra early to fit in my workout and plan on continuing this during law school.  I'm a morning person and by the end of the day, I know I wouldn't feel like working out.  I'm just hoping I don't have any 8 AM classes.  I also plan on sticking with mostly time efficient workout (interval training cardio and super set lifting routines) during the week and doing my longer workouts on weekends.

Gym's are definitely something I'm keeping in mind when picking a school.  Something close to where I live and equipped with free weights, cardio machines, and spinning classes would be ideal.
It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 05:26:02 PM »
Does playing ball count as working out?

I eat a lot of food but I dont gain weight, I'm only 175, thats why I hate fat people.

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 05:38:34 PM »
Damn Vic you should pick on fat people just because they weren't blessed with a fast metabolism. Make sure you burn more calories than you take in cause that *&^% will catch up with you one day.

SheLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 05:40:30 PM »
Hey Vic, how's everything going w/ you?

... and yes, ball counts as working out and I agree w/ Pharaoh about that stuff catching up w/ you.
It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 05:56:35 PM »
Word, I dont eat stuff like McDonalds and all that crap. I eat soul food.

Hi SheLaw, have you decided where you are going?

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 07:38:24 PM »
Haha. Funny you mentioned this. I've noticed 2 very distinct things. At my school, females either have stayed the same size, or have gained A LOT of weight. And I mean A LOT. I've even put on a few pounds and I joined a gym as soon as I started school and it's right around the corner. I just didn't have time last semester. This semester, I'm doing much better, I just actually came from the gym. But whenever I go, once I get home, I feel so incredibly guilty b/c that could have been 2 1/2 hours I could've/should've/would've been studying. But if any of ya'll are thinking about responding by saying "I have to work out" "I always work out" "I know I'll make time" Here's one example, say you've got a 8:30 AM class, you went to bed the night before at 2AM b/c you were studying, you have class ALL DAY until 4PM, at that time you have to find something to eat and then get back to studying cause you've got mad catching up to do (IT WILL HAPPEN AT SOME POINT) When are u going to the gym? I'm not saying you can't work out ever, b/c it is beneficial for you as a law student to do so, but the type of workout routines you're used will most likely NOT be practical. IF you still don't believe me.....you'll see.......................... .........

Made4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • "to boldly go, where no man has gone before"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 07:50:59 PM »
I've been working full-time, and going to school at night for like 7 years, on top of having a wife and kids and if I don't get in at least 3 serious 1.5 to 2 hr workouts a week my whole life starts to suffer. So I get up early or stay up late (I live where everything, gyms included are 24/7)and fit it in. Since I'll be moving to a place that is probably not 24/7 I have already devised my schedule. Two light workouts (45min-1hr) on either Mon and Wed. or Tues. and Thurs. and two hour workouts Fri, Sat. and Sun. I've heard if you make time for working out in your schedule while in law school the benefits will bleed over to your school work, in terms of increased energy, focus and will keep you from feeling like a total robot.  It can be done and i'm thinking if a lazy b@stard like me can do it with work, fam and school hell its gonna be easy with no job worries.
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy."