Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much does your pre-law job matter?  (Read 3155 times)

P_Tison

How much does your pre-law job matter?
« on: December 08, 2001, 11:03:29 AM »
I've been out of school for three years now, and I'm thinking about applying to law school for Fall 2003.  My question is: does it make a difference whether or not you have a law related job?  I was thinking I could work as a paralegal or something for a year if it would help me get in.  My current job has nothing whatsoever to do with law, is that bad?

John_C

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How much does your pre-law job matter?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2002, 11:22:28 PM »
I am applying to return to law school after 10 years in the technology industry and I am focusing my application on showing that those non-law related experiences are a huge positive.  It is the application of law that is important and if you really think about the past 3 years, you might find you have learned more than you realize.

Sarah

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2002, 06:50:22 AM »
I agree with the above poster. I have been out of school for 3 years and my job doesn't necessarily have much to do with traditional law, but I honestly don't think that law schools care about traditional law experiences. They get many paralegal applicants, if you've done something else, then you'll stand out.
Plus when it really comes down to it, its all about the LSAT. Do well on the LSAT, but I wouldn't take another year off just to be a paralegal. Good luck

Rob

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 11:58:52 AM »
I am starting law school in Fall 2003 after working as a wireless design engineer for last 8 years; In my case, I want to study IP/Patent law. Although my engineering background does not help me in law school studies, it would give me necessary background needed to practice patent law. Similarly, if you are an accountant, you can become a great tax attorney. If you do some research, you will find that you may be able to use your previous experience to your advantage when applying to law school.

frank6439

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 07:25:20 PM »
I believe my pre-law job was the biggest factor in gaining admission to any law school.  I was a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer for two years.  Not only has it been one of the most personally rewarding experiences of my life, but it has also given me the perspective and insight necessary to make the most of my law education.