Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pilipinos???  (Read 2612 times)

J28calblue

• View Profile
Pilipinos???
« on: February 16, 2005, 07:56:43 AM »
Are Pilipino's considered URM's?? If so anyone Pilipino with a low lsat score get into a T14?

cutcut

• Sr. Citizen
  • I remember it as if it were a meal ago
    • View Profile
Re: Pilipinos???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 11:17:37 AM »
Agreed. definitely hard to say. I think as Pilipinos, we don't get jack. And if you check the A/PI box, you'll get whatever the very successful Asian contingent gets, which may be jack. That said, I did get offered a minority fellowship at a good school, but my LSAT wasn't particularly low.
[insert clever quote here]
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=cutcut

jolyssa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 10:44:10 AM »
I have a low LSAT (sub 150) and got into a tier 2 and two tiers 3's all in New York state.  My ps was about immigrating to the US from the Phils., but I did have law related work experience, a high GPA, and good LOR's.  I'm sure my being a Filipino immigrant helped though... 

Precise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 12:31:49 AM »
What up all and congrats on all of your acceptances. We certainly need more representation in the legal field and in politics.

We certainly arent considered URM. However, I do believe that our backgrounds give us somewhat of an edge in the admissions process. Many of us our  immigrants and/or the 1st generation in our families to attend college in the United States. We add a agreat deal of diversity to any law school and thats always a positive.While all of these intangibles are probably not enough to keep you off of an auto-reject pile, it may be just enough to give a borderline candidate that extra push he/she needs.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 12:40:50 AM »
Are Pilipino's considered URM's?? If so anyone Pilipino with a low lsat score get into a T14?

yes and no.  for the most part, there's no getting around the fact that a pilipino applicant won't get an lsat score "bump" just because he's pilipino.  but, once an acceptance is in hand, things may be different.  i'm pretty sure i was heavily recruited (in the form of scholarship $$$ and an expense paid visit) by UCLA because i am pilipino; amazingly enough, pilipinos are underrepresented at UCLA law school.

DodgerLaw

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 01:01:12 AM »
I really don't have anything to add to this conversation. I just feel like a peripheral part of the group because my wife is Filipina, first generation born in U.S.

:)

jolyssa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 11:48:29 AM »
I didn't know there were a number of filipinos here either.  Where are you guys going?  I'm going to syracuse.

GoHuskies05

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 02:40:08 PM »
I'm half Filipino and I'm pretty sure it has never helped me with any admission.  I'm heading to Minnesota this fall. 

Did realize so many Filipinos were on this board either. 

Best of luck to you all.

cutcut

• Sr. Citizen
  • I remember it as if it were a meal ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 04:40:11 PM »
I'm half Filipino as well. I'm going to UT Austin.
[insert clever quote here]
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=cutcut

dubris

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 05:03:34 PM »
Full Flip. Headed to ND.