Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visiting the mighty VALPO Recap  (Read 3406 times)

bradzwest

Visiting the mighty VALPO Recap
« on: February 15, 2005, 11:12:47 PM »
I'll post on return

LaneSwerver

Re: Visiting the mighty VALPO this weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 10:26:42 AM »
Land of the free...application.

I applied there, too. Let me know how things look.

(My wife's response when I said I applied to Valpo: "Isn't that what we feed the dog?" Look out, David Letterman.)

vkschicago

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 10:29:51 AM »
I live right near Valpo.  Don't know a ton about the University, but if you have questions on the town, feel free.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 10:34:04 AM »
I understand the town is very small and very Lutheran. Am I far off?

vkschicago

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 10:42:36 AM »
The town itself is fairly small, however, it is growing in leaps and bounds.  New businesses, shopping plazas, etc are constantly being built.  It is about 25 min from Merillville/Hobart/Scherillville which is the big entertainment/shopping/business area.  Merillville/Hobart/Scherillville all runs into East Chicago and eventually Chicago.  I would says is about a 45min to an hour drive into Chicago, and you can train into the city as well.

In my own personal opinion Valpo is growing so much because it is getting many of the people who are opting to move out of the crowded areas, I guess you could say the flight from the city.  It has a great atmosphere and the people for the most part are extremely friendly.  The town has some really beautiful homes and the downtown has that small town feel with the Icecream parlor idea/nice storefront thing. 

VU is pretty well respected in the area, although as an undergrad its viewed as extremely expensive and somewhat snotty by the general population, however, I can not really agree or disagree with that.  The law school is extremely well respected in that area (despite what you  might read on this board), however, outside the area, I couldnt tell you.

bradzwest

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 10:44:11 AM »
I live right near Valpo.  Don't know a ton about the University, but if you have questions on the town, feel free.

1. Yeah...a lot of people beat your wife to the ALPO cracks, lots of threads full of the high comedy!

2. As for the town... I don't mind small and quiet/more worried about isolating my fiancee, any thoughts?  My family keeps pointing to the recent stabbing at the Valpo High School (kid did it because they were sinners).  Little church OK...Jonestown not OK.  What is the culture like?  thanks

LaneSwerver

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 10:45:19 AM »
A friend of mine went to IU (back in 1968) and said about the same thing. Great school, very small, and very Lutheran. If they accept me, I would certainly consider it. The close proximity to Chicago helps.

bradzwest

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 10:46:06 AM »
The town itself is fairly small, however, it is growing in leaps and bounds.  New businesses, shopping plazas, etc are constantly being built.  It is about 25 min from Merillville/Hobart/Scherillville which is the big entertainment/shopping/business area.  Merillville/Hobart/Scherillville all runs into East Chicago and eventually Chicago.  I would says is about a 45min to an hour drive into Chicago, and you can train into the city as well.

In my own personal opinion Valpo is growing so much because it is getting many of the people who are opting to move out of the crowded areas, I guess you could say the flight from the city.  It has a great atmosphere and the people for the most part are extremely friendly.  The town has some really beautiful homes and the downtown has that small town feel with the Icecream parlor idea/nice storefront thing.  

VU is pretty well respected in the area, although as an undergrad its viewed as extremely expensive and somewhat snotty by the general population, however, I can not really agree or disagree with that.  The law school is extremely well respected in that area (despite what you  might read on this board), however, outside the area, I couldnt tell you.

helpful!  thanks

vkschicago

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 10:49:43 AM »
Def agree that the stabbing doesnt give a great image, however, keep in mind that most of the population was extremely shocked.  The town is in the Gary area, however, stabbing aside, you would never have known that.  It is certainly not a crime ridden area, in fact, is viewed as prob the safest town (villages excepted) in that region of Indiana.  Its generally seen as having all the aspects of small town life, but with great access to everything else.  I lived my entire life in the area and that stabbing is the only really shocking thing I remember.  If you practice the same common sense that you would in any decent sized city you will have no problems. Now Merrillville is a different story.  Valpo is prob the last city in what the state sees as "the region."  If you are interested I can elaborate on that.

vkschicago

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 10:52:44 AM »
Would also like to point out that I absolutly love the area, so I am somewhat biased.  I moved to central Indiana for undergrad and it really made me appreciate the region, although the lifestyle is somewhat different. 

Also forgot to mention the thing I miss the most from home (Valpo area)

THE BEACH!!!!!