Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Undergrad GPA  (Read 4156 times)

Jan

• View Profile
Undergrad GPA
« on: May 22, 2002, 11:45:42 AM »
   Is there any way to make up for a low undergrad GPA?  I graduated from Wake Forest University in 97 with a pretty low GPA.  I have my masters degree and will soon have a PhD in Neurobiology and I am interested in intellectual property law.  My graduate GPA is a 3.91.  My LSAT scores were high, but I have no idea what law schools I can get into, if any.  Is there any way I can make up for a low undergrad GPA, or is it too late?  What law schools should I be applying to?  How much do law schools take a graduate education into account?
         Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

1L2B

Re: Undergrad GPA
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2002, 07:14:19 AM »
I was in a similar situation when I applied to law schools over the past year.  My undergraduate GPA was below a 3.0 but I just finished a PhD in Molecular biology.  

I found that there is no good answer to your question.  Different schools treat graduate work in different ways.  Stay away from schools that use absolute GPA cutoffs - they won't look far enough into your application to find your graduate work.  

In general, the rest of your application has to make up for this one glaring problem.  Great LSAT scores, stellar letters of recommendation, and strong essays are all a must.  Also, confront your undergrad grades directly.  Acknowledge they exist right up front and tell them that based on what you have accomplished since then that they are not a good measure of your potential as a law student.

As for schools to apply to?  I applied to 15 different schools all over the spectrum in the top 50 (USNWR).  There is hope, I got into 2 of the top 10 schools and a smattering of other schools down the list.

I hope this helps

chet

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2003, 10:04:50 PM »
the other option might be to work for the PTO, and get an "in" to law school that way.

It seems w/ your grad pursuits, you'ld be o.k.

Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 07:49:35 AM »
  Thanks!  That does help...it definitely gives me hope.  I can't find any school that will admit to having absolute cutoffs, although I know they probably have them.  Do you know of anywhere to get this info?
  Also...if you don't mind my asking...where did you end up getting in?