Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GULC PT- Higher Numbers this yr??  (Read 1847 times)

kterrious

GULC PT- Higher Numbers this yr??
« on: February 15, 2005, 01:12:15 PM »
  Wondering if I am just crazy (which is always a distinct possibility), or if GULC Pt has considerably raised its standards this yr for admissions (perhaps b/c of more/better apps).  For last yr, they accepted 42% with the 25% lsat @ 158 and the 75% @ 166.  Median GPA was in the low 3.0s.
   This year, there is over a 100% increase in the # of apps on LSN (which, of course, could simply be a result of more people using LSN), but also the LSATs are considerably higher. I heard from someone today w. a 163 and a 3.5 who got flat out rejected, not even WLed.  what gives?  Are more people wanting to go PT this yr b/c the economy has improved?  Acorrding to LSAC, the overall # of apps this year for all schools is actually down about 5%.  Is GULC experiencing a surge in apps, or what?  With my 164 and 3.58(3.71), I was thinking a had a good shot.  Now, I'm pretty much writing it off...any ideas???

kterrious

Re: GULC PT- Higher Numbers this yr??
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 01:19:09 PM »
Another possiblity I was considering: could it be that GULC always take a larger percentage of URMs for their PT?  This would increase their diversity index while have fewer URM 1Ls fail out b/c maybe the 1L isn't as stressful if you're going PT??  Thus maybe the #s themselves aren't ana curate pic of the standards for a non-URM candidate...

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 01:30:34 PM »
I beg to differ regarding PT being less stressful.  I think I will have more stress working 40 hour weeks for the Feds AND attending a PT law program than I would with just the FT program and no work.  FT is 5 classes, PT is 3-4.
Attending GW in Fall '06

kterrious

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 01:40:53 PM »
Well yes, but what about 3-4 classes and no work?   Or, if you're working 30-40 hrs a week stamping hands at the local community pool or something, there's got to be less stress with that....

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 01:48:44 PM »
Yes, but I think that most ppl. in PT programs are legitimately in them b/c they have to be as I do.  Well, I don't have to be but it behooves me to be since my agency will foot alot of the bill.

I definately agree, however, that the numbers this year are much higher.  I applied based on last year's numbers but I figured they would go up.  Its too bad I wasn't ready to do this a year ago.
Attending GW in Fall '06

kterrious

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 02:05:19 PM »
Yeah man, I don't know what happened last year but it must have been a total anomaly.  I mean, they accepted 42% of their Pt apps last yr...most 3rd tier toilets are more selective than that! I wish to God I could have snuck in under the radar last yr.
  Have you gone complete yet?  I know we applied right around the same time.  People who applied in Mid-Dec are starting to go decision now, so we should be close.  I hope to God we get before the committee before their "week before the deadline" surge in apps, b/c I have a feeling if we're not done before then, once they see how many apps they get,  we (and everyone w. our kind of #s) are screwed....

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 02:13:00 PM »
What are your numbers again K?  I remember yours being much better than mine.  I am just a 3.37, 162.  Are you definately staying in DC as well?  Where have you been accepted thus far?  Rejected? 

I went complete about 2 weeks ago.  Blah.  My nerves are shot.  I told my coworkers I would do cartwheels and backflips around the office if I get into GULC and I seriously will........
Attending GW in Fall '06

norm012001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 02:24:44 PM »
I don't know, I checked last year's number when I was applying (months ago) and I felt that I had about a 50/50 shot at GULC-PT.  I have a 165/3.19.  Accordingly, I was deferred and still have heard nothing.  It seems that lots of folks have been rejected lately (no acceptance since 02/05 on LSN I think) so I'm figuring no letter is better than having one right now.  I don't have a lot of hope since they already accepted a couple of deferred folks, but it's still my first choice and I'll go there if accepted.

I feel like it's about as competitive as it was last year.
3.19/165, 6yrs work experience, EE Master's

Accepted: GWU, GMU, American
Waitlist: Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, UVa
Withdrawn: UNC (withdrew in mid March, tired of waiting)

Macul

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 02:44:09 PM »
You can check lsac data which breaks down both full time and parttime by race.  The percentage do not change much from full to parttime.  African American about 12, Latinos just under 5% and .5 native american so I wouldn't say that use the part time numbers to beef up the number of urm.  I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on the fact that there are more people on.
edit: until we see the total numbers this year hard to say whether more applying or more using the service

mobie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 03:38:05 PM »
Not to be discouraging, but...I got rejected from the PT program several months ago with a 3.48 and 164 LSAT, a Master's Degree, plus exceptional WE w/gov't executives.  So, yeah, something's going on this year.  It's unfortunate.  For anyone who gets in PT, I'm thinking they have to have high numbers.