Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 270145 times)

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
Re: 1L's (Current Black Law Students)
« Reply #1100 on: August 04, 2005, 09:15:19 AM »
Nupe "John Blazed!!" They done turned you into one of those "Yo B's and Word up sons" in just one year.  Don't let em' get to you, stay strong!  :D

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: August 04, 2005, 09:32:48 AM »
Nupe "John Blazed!!" They done turned you into one of those "Yo B's and Word up sons" in just one year.  Don't let em' get to you, stay strong!  :D

Word up, son.

LOL

Yeah, its hard to shake the east coast lingo when you're surrounded by it 24/7.  The cats in my class tell me that I have some kind of accent, although they can't put their finger on what kind of accent it is.  I said, funny, because ALL OF YOU sound like you have an east coast accent to me.  We have concluded that people like me from the midwest have a "lack of" an accent, which to people on the east coast, sounds different.  They don't know what it is, all they know is that its not from here.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Nadege

• View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: August 04, 2005, 09:33:16 AM »
Hi Seu  :) I never really introduced myself, I just posted here and there...I will be off to Georgetown in just 2 short weeks.

Very intense...all I have to do for orientation so far is read a paperback about religious freedom...I wonder if they are just trying to soften the blow....  ???

Nupe, I saw this Legal Writing orientation assignment and bout near passed out because I'm still working.

Tuesday, August 16 Large Group (LG) Class #1: Introduction to Legal Reasoning and LARW I;
Case Law, Thomas v. Winchester Read: Edwards, pp. 3-36; Sloan, Chapter 1;
LARW Manual, pp. 2-28, “On Reading and Briefing Cases,” Analysis Assignment 1
Class Preparation: Prepare to discuss Analysis Assignment 1.
Written Assignment for Turn-in at LG Class: Maxi Case Brief
Tuesday, August 16  Teaching Assistant (TA) Class #1 Class Preparation: Prepare to discuss LG Class #1 reading and Edwards exercises 1-2, 2-1, 2-3, 2-4, & 2-5. Bring copy of Maxi Case Brief.
Thursday, August 18 LG Class #2: Case Law, Thomas v. Winchester (continued) and Loop v. Litchfield Read: Edwards, pp. 36-43; Analysis Assignment 2 Class Preparation: Prepare to discuss Analysis Assignments 1 and 2.
Written Assignment for Turn-in at LG Class: Maxi Case Brief
Thursday, August 18 TA Class #2 Class Preparation: Prepare to discuss LG Class #2 reading; Edwards exercises 3-2 & 3-3; and ICW Chapter 1. Bring copy of Maxi Case Brief.

Any other almost 1L's have thier assignments yet?

Did I miss your into?  Who are you and what school are you attending this fall?

I know I've been gone for a minute, but I've been busy moving and settling in, exploring, and now, reading and doing school stuff with my roommates.  This, I think, is indicative of the probability that once school starts, I will probably take an LSD hiatus.  So sad.  I'll check in, but I dunno.  LSD was my escape from work, and now that I'm jobless, I don't have the time for it anymore.  We'll see.

Sands did a great job in teaching us how to brief a case.  People should pay him to do this. 

Anyway, good morning.  Enjoy the calm before the storm, pps.   :P
Ain't no feelin' like feelin' free
When your mind's made up and your heart's in the right place...

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: August 04, 2005, 09:46:19 AM »
Hey everyone . . .

Sands, yes I am dropping sales on them. Don't forget contracts was my favorite class!!!!!   ;D ;) I've been looking at some outlines and it is similar to contracts, to some degree, at least the way it was taught in my section. At any rate, I answered a question and my response got a little longwinded, so typical of a future lawyer ;)

I agree . . .contracts is SOOOOOOOO important.  I had a couple of family members with contract issues this summer and I was able to answer their questions  . . .it was a little scary.  :-\ 

I did learn something in the chaos of last year . . . .lol.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: August 04, 2005, 10:06:04 AM »
Sales was a part of our K class, although I know it is its own class. In fact a lot of these 2L and 3L classes are spin-offs from the "Big 6."  Like Conflicts of Laws (another class tested heavily on the bar).  Conflicts of Laws is basically that chapter on the Erie Doctrine from Civ Pro.  So Erie Doctrine used to do the opening act for Civ Pro but now it made it big time, got a promoter, and has its own show called "Conflicts of Laws."
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 04, 2005, 10:08:44 AM »
That's true. I can't wait to take conflict of laws . . . .

Okay, I'm officially a nerd.  :-\

Sales was a part of our K class, although I know it is its own class. In fact a lot of these 2L and 3L classes are spin-offs from the "Big 6." Like Conflicts of Laws (another class tested heavily on the bar). Conflicts of Laws is basically that chapter on the Erie Doctrine from Civ Pro. So Erie Doctrine used to do the opening act for Civ Pro but now it made it big, time, got a promoter, and has its own show called "Conflicts of Laws."

faith2005

« Reply #1106 on: August 04, 2005, 10:13:30 AM »
yo b, i mean burning sands. haha. you know my friends on the east coast used to say i sounded southern. i would ask them if they've ever actually met anyone from the south, and there was silence. the only thing they were comparing me to was juvenile. haha :D

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: August 04, 2005, 10:16:41 AM »
I have a terrible southern drawl. It gets me in trouble and gets me laughed at.  . . lol.

yo b, i mean burning sands. haha. you know my friends on the east coast used to say i sounded southern. i would ask them if they've ever actually met anyone from the south, and there was silence. the only thing they were comparing me to was juvenile. haha :D

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: August 04, 2005, 10:19:20 AM »

lol

I know right. Being from the midwest, I know a Southern accent when I hear one.  You know those true southern accents that you can only get from Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, etc.  At first, one of my classmates tried to tell me I had a southern accent. I said you obviously haven't been to the south.  Anything that doesn't sound like a NY accent is considered country (aka Southern).  NY'ers idea of going "west" is visiting Jersey.
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: August 04, 2005, 10:22:31 AM »
That's true. I can't wait to take conflict of laws . . . .

Okay, I'm officially a nerd.  :-\

You knew that when you took the LSAT!
Charles H. Houston