Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 279518 times)

Nadege

• View Profile
Re: 1L's (Current Black Law Students)
« Reply #1090 on: August 03, 2005, 12:40:13 PM »
Very intense...all I have to do for orientation so far is read a paperback about religious freedom...I wonder if they are just trying to soften the blow....  ???

Nupe, I saw this Legal Writing orientation assignment and bout near passed out because I'm still working.

Tuesday, August 16 Large Group (LG) Class #1: Introduction to Legal Reasoning and LARW I;
Case Law, Thomas v. Winchester Read: Edwards, pp. 3-36; Sloan, Chapter 1;
LARW Manual, pp. 2-28, “On Reading and Briefing Cases,” Analysis Assignment 1
Class Preparation: Prepare to discuss Analysis Assignment 1.
Written Assignment for Turn-in at LG Class: Maxi Case Brief
Tuesday, August 16  Teaching Assistant (TA) Class #1 Class Preparation: Prepare to discuss LG Class #1 reading and Edwards exercises 1-2, 2-1, 2-3, 2-4, & 2-5. Bring copy of Maxi Case Brief.
Thursday, August 18 LG Class #2: Case Law, Thomas v. Winchester (continued) and Loop v. Litchfield Read: Edwards, pp. 36-43; Analysis Assignment 2 Class Preparation: Prepare to discuss Analysis Assignments 1 and 2.
Thursday, August 18 TA Class #2 Class Preparation: Prepare to discuss LG Class #2 reading; Edwards exercises 3-2 & 3-3; and ICW Chapter 1. Bring copy of Maxi Case Brief.

Any other almost 1L's have thier assignments yet?
Ain't no feelin' like feelin' free
When your mind's made up and your heart's in the right place...

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: August 03, 2005, 12:45:34 PM »
From the 2005-2006 SMU Dedman School of Law Catalog:

Sale of Goods Transactions (6389)--two or three hours.  An introductory survey of the law of sales under the Uniform Commercial Code: particular emphasis on Articl 2; contract formation; parole evidence rule; statute of frauds; risk of loss; receipt and inspection; acceptance, revocation; warranties; remedies of buyer and seller, remedy disclaimers and limitations; documentary transactions; consumer protection.

In English?--All of the law that surrounds the sale of goods as opposed to services.  The Uniform Commercial Code was adopted by most of the states (except Louisiana) to control the law of the sale of goods. From the time an offer is made to buy a product to the time the product breaks, to the liability of the seller (as opposed to the manufacturer) for the goods, etc. Pay attention when you are in contracts to the UCC provisions that you study, this will clue you in to some of the issues in sale of goods. :)

Sale of Goods? Pre-1L wants to know, what dat is?

Thanks, smu.  Haha, even the "English" explanation sounded like gibberish to me - uh oh!

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: August 03, 2005, 12:57:56 PM »
you'll be fine. you'll be speaking legalese in no time . . . ;)

While I'm thinking about it, a few pointers for contracts:
Make sure you know what a good is. Most of the time, the UCC controls the sale of goods (the UCC is a statute) and the common law controls services (like having baby shoes bronzed --sorry, my K professor used that all the time).

Oh, also, K is short for contract(s).

For contracts, you will probably have a statutory supplement with the UCC provisions and restatement provisions along with your casebook.

Oh . . . the restatement is essentially a summary of the common law in a particular area. It is very helpful to law students, but it is not law. You'll probably use the restatement in Contracts, and maybe torts.  If you are writing an exam, most profs would expect you to mention relevant UCC provisions,then relevant cases, then (if you have time, as a last resort) mention restatement provisions.  BUT THIS DEPENDS ON THE TEACHER . . . .THIS IS JUST A GENERAL RULE . . .

Sorry if I'm rambling, just thought these little things might be helpful.  :-\ :)

Sale of Goods Transactions (6389)--two or three hours. An introductory survey of the law of sales under the Uniform Commercial Code: particular emphasis on Articl 2; contract formation; parole evidence rule; statute of frauds; risk of loss; receipt and inspection; acceptance, revocation; warranties; remedies of buyer and seller, remedy disclaimers and limitations; documentary transactions; consumer protection.

In English?--All of the law that surrounds the sale of goods as opposed to services. The Uniform Commercial Code was adopted by most of the states (except Louisiana) to control the law of the sale of goods. From the time an offer is made to buy a product to the time the product breaks, to the liability of the seller (as opposed to the manufacturer) for the goods, etc. Pay attention when you are in contracts to the UCC provisions that you study, this will clue you in to some of the issues in sale of goods. :)

Thanks, smu. Haha, even the "English" explanation sounded like gibberish to me - uh oh!
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

j.rosh

« Reply #1093 on: August 03, 2005, 01:31:55 PM »
I hope all of you rising IL's and 2L's will continue posting about your law experiences in the future  :-*

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: August 03, 2005, 01:35:05 PM »
you'll be fine. you'll be speaking legalese in no time . . . ;)

While I'm thinking about it, a few pointers for contracts:
Make sure you know what a good is. Most of the time, the UCC controls the sale of goods (the UCC is a statute) and the common law controls services (like having baby shoes bronzed --sorry, my K professor used that all the time).

Oh, also, K is short for contract(s).

For contracts, you will probably have a statutory supplement with the UCC provisions and restatement provisions along with your casebook.

Oh . . . the restatement is essentially a summary of the common law in a particular area. It is very helpful to law students, but it is not law. You'll probably use the restatement in Contracts, and maybe torts.  If you are writing an exam, most profs would expect you to mention relevant UCC provisions,then relevant cases, then (if you have time, as a last resort) mention restatement provisions.  BUT THIS DEPENDS ON THE TEACHER . . . .THIS IS JUST A GENERAL RULE . . .

Sorry if I'm rambling, just thought these little things might be helpful.  :-\ :)

Sale of Goods Transactions (6389)--two or three hours. An introductory survey of the law of sales under the Uniform Commercial Code: particular emphasis on Articl 2; contract formation; parole evidence rule; statute of frauds; risk of loss; receipt and inspection; acceptance, revocation; warranties; remedies of buyer and seller, remedy disclaimers and limitations; documentary transactions; consumer protection.

In English?--All of the law that surrounds the sale of goods as opposed to services. The Uniform Commercial Code was adopted by most of the states (except Louisiana) to control the law of the sale of goods. From the time an offer is made to buy a product to the time the product breaks, to the liability of the seller (as opposed to the manufacturer) for the goods, etc. Pay attention when you are in contracts to the UCC provisions that you study, this will clue you in to some of the issues in sale of goods. :)

Thanks, smu. Haha, even the "English" explanation sounded like gibberish to me - uh oh!

I agree that it's a good idea to make sure you know what the professor wants before making assumptions.  My K's class was VERY Rest.-heavy and he told us not to even bother with citing the UCC on the exam. 
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

seu2002

« Reply #1095 on: August 04, 2005, 08:25:30 AM »
Very intense...all I have to do for orientation so far is read a paperback about religious freedom...I wonder if they are just trying to soften the blow....  ???

Nupe, I saw this Legal Writing orientation assignment and bout near passed out because I'm still working.

Tuesday, August 16 Large Group (LG) Class #1: Introduction to Legal Reasoning and LARW I;
Tuesday, August 16  Teaching Assistant (TA) Class #1 Class Preparation: Prepare to discuss LG Class #1 reading and Edwards exercises 1-2, 2-1, 2-3, 2-4, & 2-5. Bring copy of Maxi Case Brief.
Thursday, August 18 LG Class #2: Case Law, Thomas v. Winchester (continued) and Loop v. Litchfield Read: Edwards, pp. 36-43; Analysis Assignment 2 Class Preparation: Prepare to discuss Analysis Assignments 1 and 2.
Thursday, August 18 TA Class #2 Class Preparation: Prepare to discuss LG Class #2 reading; Edwards exercises 3-2 & 3-3; and ICW Chapter 1. Bring copy of Maxi Case Brief.

Did I miss your into?  Who are you and what school are you attending this fall?

I know I've been gone for a minute, but I've been busy moving and settling in, exploring, and now, reading and doing school stuff with my roommates.  This, I think, is indicative of the probability that once school starts, I will probably take an LSD hiatus.  So sad.  I'll check in, but I dunno.  LSD was my escape from work, and now that I'm jobless, I don't have the time for it anymore.  We'll see.

Sands did a great job in teaching us how to brief a case.  People should pay him to do this. 

Anyway, good morning.  Enjoy the calm before the storm, pps.   :P

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: August 04, 2005, 08:31:13 AM »
Greetings! I'm Ike and I am making my way to the University of Baltimore School of Law.

Did I miss your into?  Who are you and what school are you attending this fall?

I know I've been gone for a minute, but I've been busy moving and settling in, exploring, and now, reading and doing school stuff with my roommates.  This, I think, is indicative of the probability that once school starts, I will probably take an LSD hiatus.  So sad.  I'll check in, but I dunno.  LSD was my escape from work, and now that I'm jobless, I don't have the time for it anymore.  We'll see.

Sands did a great job in teaching us how to brief a case.  People should pay him to do this. 

Anyway, good morning.  Enjoy the calm before the storm, pps.   :P

seu2002

« Reply #1097 on: August 04, 2005, 08:42:18 AM »
Ike, i know who you are!  I was wondering who the newbie is.

so when's orientation?  pps should start an orientation thread to share the experiences.  oh man!  just thinking of how out of hand that thread can get's got me rolling already.   :D :D :D :D

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: August 04, 2005, 08:45:07 AM »
Ike, i know who you are!  I was wondering who the newbie is.

so when's orientation?  pps should start an orientation thread to share the experiences.  oh man!  just thinking of how out of hand that thread can get's got me rolling already.   :D :D :D :D

Starting it now  ;)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: August 04, 2005, 09:08:17 AM »
SMU you already droppin Sales on 'em?  Don't hurt 'em.

Contracts is an important class. Even though I personaly hate it, and I think it sucks, it is the most heavily tested subject on the bar. On the NY bar, for example, which I assume many of you will be taking, there are about 260 questions on the multiple choice part of the bar, 50 of those are Contracts questions alone.

SEU, yeah you missed the switch, Ike deleted the old account and was reborn as the Cartel.

SEU's class is great.  They were shooting intelligent questions at me from the minute I started presenting.  I gave them a semi-difficult case to brief and many of them managed to find the issue of the case and the black letter rule of law. I was impressed.  They are now official case brief masters, ready to knock out complex con law cases in 15 minutes...ok well maybe not that john blazed but I got faith in 'em.  

Its hard to believe a year has gone by just like that.

A number of her clasmates came up to me afterwards and asked me things like "how do you know all of that stuff off the top of your head?" and "are you sure you're just a 2L?" and my response is just like SMU said, you guys will be speaking legalese before you know it.  And it won't hit you right away.  You won't wake up one morning and say "today I am finally thinking like a lawyer."  Its just a gradual process that consumes you bit by bit until one day you're talking to next year's 1L's and you realize what a difference one year of law school has made in you.

I went back and looked at one of the practice exmas that I wrote at the end of orientation.  Night and Day.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston