Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 268781 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 1L's & Current Black Law Students
« Reply #4900 on: March 24, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
Lol I haven't "seen" y'all in months.  Hope you're are having fun and avoiding the Legal World Angst.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: March 26, 2009, 11:11:54 PM »
Meh.  I'm so over law school right now.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: March 27, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
Enjoy it while you can :).

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: March 28, 2009, 01:08:10 PM »
Right!
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: April 22, 2009, 10:28:04 PM »
2 more weeks. Argh.

malwal

• View Profile
« Reply #4905 on: August 19, 2009, 07:29:14 AM »
Hey guys,..I got a pretty urgent question that needs a reply.

Does URM only apply to US citizens? I'm a black permanent resident,...i keep getting conflicting reports on this. I was looking at the Northwestern application and it says "US citizens only" before the race designation box. It also has a disclaimer saying that schools getting federal assistance must report minority stats.

However some other schools don't have "citizens only" tag,...although they all obviously ask for citizenship. So does the urm thing vary,..or does it only apply to citizens?

This would make a huge difference in the kind of schools i apply to, so I almost can't move forward without knowing this. Thanks.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L's
« Reply #4906 on: April 22, 2010, 05:14:14 PM »
sands, i'm sure all that wisdom you've imparted on us re: outlining, reading, and having lots of sex before 1L will work wonders for all us pre-L's.

Yeah I don't think those words will escape the back of my mind anytime soon. lol.

Especially that last one.  *smh @ self*

reaisan

• View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: December 05, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »

Does URM only apply to US citizens? I'm a black permanent resident,...i keep getting conflicting reports on this. I was looking at the Northwestern application and it says "US citizens only" before the race designation box. It also has a disclaimer saying that schools getting federal assistance must report minority stats.

However some other schools don't have "citizens only" tag,...although they all obviously ask for citizenship. So does the urm thing vary,..or does it only apply to citizens?

This would make a huge difference in the kind of schools i apply to, so I almost can't move forward without knowing this. Thanks.
I'm not on the admissions board or anything, but I am a Black American, who isn't "African American."

In my day, they didn't even have African-American/Black categories. Everyone was just AA if you were dark. The new label, I feel... is just another way to lump us together again. I don't think they're thinking about nationality, heritage, anything like that. They're just lookin' for that pigment to say their school is diverse.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: March 23, 2011, 07:00:28 PM »

Often the hr departments and such in this country have no clue about immigration statuses when typing up things like that...

Whatever your race classification was or would be on the US Census, as long as it is not Caucasian/White, you're a URM.

Asians are becoming something of a commodity in URM circles in law school because they are actually rather well represented versus their percentage of the total US population.

If the school wants US citizens only, they are probably trying to prevent international students from skewing their stats. 

But they should not be discounting permanent residents because you are eligible for the same financial aid as a citizen.  So call the school and ask how they want you to list yourself cause that's just weird.

If the other schools don't care, then list yourself as a URM.