Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 274050 times)

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: 1L's & Current Black Law Students
« Reply #4840 on: October 24, 2008, 07:37:13 PM »
So help me I hate lawyers..at least as teachers.  >:( >:( >:(

My aspiration in life is to someday become a law professor.   Slide in for 2 days a week, "teach" a class I've already taught for years, write a book or two, collect a 6-figure paycheck.  We should be so lucky.

I am training to become a professional whipping girl(Paralegal) all of my classes are taught by lawyers. And I have the misfortune of being taught by the chair of the department who has been torturing(training) Paralegals for 20 plus years. You'll figure it out is his answer for everything. I hate lawyers >:( >:(

In paralegal school?  I would've thought the professors would be a little nicer.  This sounds A LOT  like law school.  :-\ boooooooo.  I guess it's just a legal thing.

The program is ABA approved.

hmmm you don't want to get me started on the ABA!  Bastards!  Anyway, I think it's unfortunate because some of those paralegal professors out there have never actually been a paralegal- they just work with 'em and basically act like pricks toward 'em. Your prof sounds like one of those such pricks!

Off the subject but isn't there another paralegal accreditation agency out there other than the ABA?
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4841 on: October 24, 2008, 07:42:47 PM »

My aspiration in life is to someday become a law professor.   Slide in for 2 days a week, "teach" a class I've already taught for years, write a book or two, collect a 6-figure paycheck.  We should be so lucky.

I am training to become a professional whipping girl(Paralegal) all of my classes are taught by lawyers. And I have the misfortune of being taught by the chair of the department who has been torturing(training) Paralegals for 20 plus years. You'll figure it out is his answer for everything. I hate lawyers >:( >:(

In paralegal school?  I would've thought the professors would be a little nicer.  This sounds A LOT  like law school.  :-\ boooooooo.  I guess it's just a legal thing.

The program is ABA approved.

hmmm you don't want to get me started on the ABA!  Bastards!  Anyway, I think it's unfortunate because some of those paralegal professors out there have never actually been a paralegal- they just work with 'em and basically act like pricks toward 'em. Your prof sounds like one of those such pricks!

Off the subject but isn't there another paralegal accreditation agency out there other than the ABA?

Do you mean like the PACE exam?

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: October 24, 2008, 07:54:09 PM »

No. my friend is also in paralegal school and said something about another agency but I never heard of it.  I want to say ACICS but I'm not sure if that's it.  I wonder if that would make any difference..probably not.   
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4843 on: October 24, 2008, 08:05:14 PM »

No. my friend is also in paralegal school and said something about another agency but I never heard of it.  I want to say ACICS but I'm not sure if that's it.  I wonder if that would make any difference..probably not.   

Sorry, never heard of another agency other than ABA.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: October 29, 2008, 11:08:16 AM »

I'm convinced that to be a law professor, all you have to do is know how to ask "why?" and "what?" at the appropriate times and have fleeting knowledge of the law. At least that's all that's needed to teach 1L doctrinal classes.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4845 on: October 29, 2008, 11:09:19 AM »
Also, y'all neglected to warn a brother about future interests and *&^%. property's a bee-yotch. Got me sittin' in class like  ??? Y'all some duty breachin' mofos. ;D :D

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: October 29, 2008, 02:04:56 PM »
Also, y'all neglected to warn a brother about future interests and poo. property's a bee-yotch. Got me sittin' in class like  ??? Y'all some duty breachin' mofos. ;D :D

Gilbert's Property Summary was a complete lifesaver for me when it came to understanding present and future interests.  My prof made the subject unnecessarily complicated, and Gilbert's breaks it down for you so well that you'll wonder why you were ever confused in the first place.  No matter what school or prof you have, I think Gilbert's Prop is one of the best ways to grasp possessory interests well enough to make sense of the stuff your prof is trying to communicate in class!  It presents the basic doctrine in a clear, succinct, but impeccably thorough manner!  You should easily be able to incorporate this book into your class/exam prep w/o feeling like you're trying to read a treatise in addition to your regular assignments.

Run, don't walk to get your own copy and see for yourself!!!  It looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Gilbert-Law-Summaries-Jesse-Dukeminier/dp/0159007739

I wasn't using a Prop casebook written by Dukeminier, and yet this summary was still the most helpful I've found! 

Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: October 29, 2008, 03:44:42 PM »
Also, y'all neglected to warn a brother about future interests and *&^%. property's a bee-yotch. Got me sittin' in class like  ??? Y'all some duty breachin' mofos. ;D :D

Good sign:  you're making legal jokes so that means you're probably "thinking like a lawyer" already.   :)

if we had a search button I'd find where I made a similar joke about 2 months in to my first semester and someone actually broke it down where I'd have problems with duty and causation specifically.  LOL, way to kill a joke. 

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: October 29, 2008, 05:22:32 PM »

Good sign:  you're making legal jokes so that means you're probably "thinking like a lawyer" already.   :)

if we had a search button I'd find where I made a similar joke about 2 months in to my first semester and someone actually broke it down where I'd have problems with duty and causation specifically.  LOL, way to kill a joke. 

Yeah, I'd have a hard time proving that y'all had a duty to warn, so there can't be a breach if there's no duty in the first place. i love how law school sucks all the fun out of stuff   :D

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: October 30, 2008, 10:35:58 PM »

Yeah, I'd have a hard time proving that y'all had a duty to warn, so there can't be a breach if there's no duty in the first place. i love how law school sucks all the fun out of stuff   :D

:)

Wait until you get to adverse possession in property and the jokes will fly.  "I adversely possessed your girlfriend [or boyfriend] last night" "I'd like to adversely possess [the best looking guy in the class]"   I've heard some choice ones about "open, visible, and notorious" that I care not to share.  LOL. 

And in K, when we learned about promissory estoppel and unconscionability, everything out of our mouths for the following few weeks was "If you don't let me borrow your pen, I'll sue you under promissory estoppel"  or " 100 pages to read for tomorrow's civ pro class, that's unconscionable"  Yeah, we were lame.   :-\