Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 270195 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 1L's & Current Black Law Students
« Reply #4810 on: July 22, 2008, 06:39:56 PM »
yeah I think the 2-year thing is a terrible idea for the profession.  An apprenticeship would be interesting, although what about the people who can't land a job as it is?  Shut down some law schools?

it would probably weed some people out.

It would DEFINITELY weed some people out.

I'm not so sure it would shut down any law schools necessarily...since apprentices would be paid at an extremely reduced salary, employment could be more easily managed by the law students and/or law schools themselves if need be.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: August 20, 2008, 10:51:04 PM »

Law school is cool, but civ pro sucks.

that is all.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: August 26, 2008, 01:45:56 AM »
I submit that law school, as a professional school, needs to be modeled more closely to med school: 2 years in the classroom, 2 years of mandatory clerkship under an attorney or judge.  That would drastically change not only the people trying to get into the profession, but in turn, change the profession itself.

I like this idea!
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: August 26, 2008, 07:17:17 PM »
I submit that law school, as a professional school, needs to be modeled more closely to med school: 2 years in the classroom, 2 years of mandatory clerkship under an attorney or judge.  That would drastically change not only the people trying to get into the profession, but in turn, change the profession itself.

I like this idea!

not me. I think the current three year model is fine.
YLS c/o 2009

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: August 29, 2008, 01:22:18 AM »

I like this idea!

not me. I think the current three year model is fine.

Even if the three-year model survives, I still think a 2-year apprenticeship/clerkship is a step in the right direction.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4815 on: August 29, 2008, 08:10:42 AM »
How would that be different from the current model, except you don't get paid a ton to do it?

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: August 31, 2008, 01:36:29 AM »
How would that be different from the current model, except you don't get paid a ton to do it?

In many ways, I suppose it'd be similar to the summer associate program.  Yet I still think a longer-term placement with a firm/agency/non-profit would be more helpful - esp. if there were mandatory rotations through different legal practice groups and/or practice settings.  I think it'd give students a more realistic picture of the actual practice of law -- esp. if firms didn't work so hard to woo students in a few short weeks.  It would also afford students the chance to really experience the breadth/ variety of legal work, as well as to practice law in more than two legal markets.  I think it'd be a great idea if after law school, a student could go through a "matching" program similar to med school to find three or four legal settings that (s)he'd  be interested in experiencing.  Then over the next 24 months, you get exposure to all those matches before picking the one that works best.  I think this is good because not every law school graduate really knows what (s)he wants to do.  An opportunity to make a more informed decision might be helpful.  Just a thought...

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: September 23, 2008, 03:00:47 AM »
here's some nice 1L *&^%

It's 2:43 AM and I'm still working on my closed memo.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: September 23, 2008, 09:40:24 PM »
here's some nice 1L *&^%

lol, I actually miss those days.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: September 23, 2008, 10:05:54 PM »
here's some nice 1L *&^%

lol, I actually miss those days.

You must be a masochist.  I finished that joint at about 5:30. Dropped it off at 8, and unabashedly went to civ pro without reading nary a word of today's assignment.