Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 277032 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 1L's
« Reply #530 on: April 20, 2005, 03:16:29 PM »
Ahhh, but the problem is that too many of us dont feel the obligation to reach back and assist those coming behind us.  We live in the "I" world.  You know, what's good for me, is good for me.  I am not concerned about those around me and those that come after me.  My theory on that is, what is meant for me is meant for me, and it does not matter what you want to happen.  I can't be harmed by assisting you or someone else.  If I was meant to get the job at BigLaw, I will get it, and if I was not, I am not.  Remember, we are all going to take our own route to get to our ultimate destination and no one knows (no matter how much they think they know) what that route is going to be.  Hey, since we are quoting Spike......ALWAYS DO THE RIGHT THING!!!

I see that you're speaking both figuratively and personally, so are you condoning the "I" mentality or merely commenting on it here?

I condemn the "I" mentality.  Imagine if all the brothers and sisters that came before us had the "I got mines" mentatlity.  Neither you nor I would be where we are today. 

[standing up clapping]

That's real talk right there!  Now get the rest of these cats there!
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 20, 2005, 03:26:17 PM »
Question:      Should the federal government have been involved in the Schiavo case?
Yes    - 1 (7.1%)
No    - 13 (92.9%)
   Lock Voting
Edit Poll
Total Votes: 14
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #532 on: April 20, 2005, 03:32:10 PM »
I'm all about the "I" because "I" own you.  ::) 

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 20, 2005, 03:38:52 PM »
I think that this discussion board is a great assistance.  You are allowing 1Ls and pre law students to come and gain some knowledge from  your experience.  Keep reaching back and giving and it will soon catch on.  Here is an example of walking the walk and not just talking the talk.  When I was attending UF they had a trial team (and still do as far as I know).  I had many people of color come to me to assist them in making it on the team.  For some reason when I tried out, I didnt make it (2 times), yet at the same time I was able to assist two women get on.  They told others and one came to me the next semester and asked me to help her and I did and she made it on and then next thing I know, I had my hands full helping people.  One semester alone I had 10 students that were seeking help.  I helped each and every one of those students.  I could have done the easy thing and said, sorry, I have my own studies to worry about.  But I did not do that.  I took time away from my busy schedule and assisted those students every night they were trying out.  By the time I graduated, I had assisted somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-15 people of color on the trial team.  Prior to my attending UF there had only been 3 people of color in the history of the trial team.  Now the point of that story is to show that if one person can do that, imagine what 10, 100 or 1000 law students of color can do.  Pass the word and roll your sleeves up and start working because we have a LONG way to go.
Back in the saddle again.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 20, 2005, 03:40:18 PM »

Ahhhh, a comedian.  Well we will see how funny you are after your first semester of law school!!!   ;D
Back in the saddle again.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #535 on: April 20, 2005, 03:41:18 PM »
Let me be completely honest, I am one of those people Sands was referring to in regards to rankings and the "I" mentality. Perhaps it's due to age or my own life experiences but I will put my own personal comfort and needs above everyone else. The only individuals I'm willing to set aside my own comfort for is my family. Everyone else is secondary. There have been periods of time in my life where "I" had to be left at the door and  my actions affected a group. My individuality was forgotten and I had to act as one with other girls who I barely knew. Although valuable lessons were learned from those experiences and I came out a much better person because of it, but I felt really uncomfortable and I wouldn't relive those events again if someone paid me to.

Perhaps it is a control issue with me, or something else but I like to do what I want when I get ready to it without constraints. In terms of black people as a whole, I'm only willing to put my time and energies into someone who is willing to help themselves. Granted my views are rather controversial but I've witness too many people in my life giving their all to people who never took advantage of the opportunities given to them.

Believe it or not the vase majority of people have my mentality but are afraid to admit it because they donít want others to think poorly of them. My personal belief is that why fake the funk? If most people had a selfless mentality the world would be dramatically different, donít you think?

Iíve accomplish a lot because of my independent or ďselfishĒ  attitude. My life isnít revolved around what others think I should do or when I should do it. So many individuals are concerned with how others view them that they fail at reaching their full potential because of it.

AS for all this talk about the mainstream, some of you guys need a reality check. We live in a mainstream society people. Unless we decide to pack up all the black people and move to another planet, this is the world we are stuck with. The irony is that even then as human beings we would still find ways to exploit differences between one another.  However, there is a way to maintain your individuality and still work within the system, which is what Iím doing. I am quite proud of who I am and how I turned out as a black woman. Others may have problems with who I am but at the end of the day Iím the one who has to live within my own skin and look at myself in the mirror.

I Regal Muse am a rankings whore. I believe that the best schools make more opportunities available to me. Instead of having to kick the door open with a sledgehammer, I can walk through with my IVY degree. Now donít get me wrong, as a black woman I do know I have to work 10X harder and produce better results than Becky, John, Chen Young, and even Garcia. Nevertheless, I know what I have to do, especially in such a prestige driven occupation. Those of you who insist on playing head games with yourselves for whatever reason will probably be left behind in the process.

Thatís my 2 cents....
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 20, 2005, 03:47:02 PM »
Ahhh, but the problem is that too many of us dont feel the obligation to reach back and assist those coming behind us.  We live in the "I" world.  You know, what's good for me, is good for me.  I am not concerned about those around me and those that come after me.  My theory on that is, what is meant for me is meant for me, and it does not matter what you want to happen.  I can't be harmed by assisting you or someone else.  If I was meant to get the job at BigLaw, I will get it, and if I was not, I am not.  Remember, we are all going to take our own route to get to our ultimate destination and no one knows (no matter how much they think they know) what that route is going to be.  Hey, since we are quoting Spike......ALWAYS DO THE RIGHT THING!!!

I see that you're speaking both figuratively and personally, so are you condoning the "I" mentality or merely commenting on it here?

I condemn the "I" mentality.  Imagine if all the brothers and sisters that came before us had the "I got mines" mentatlity.  Neither you nor I would be where we are today. 

Exactly what Dr. Akbar was talking about. He is that last person I would say needs a "reality check".

Ahhhh, a comedian. Well we will see how funny you are after your first semester of law school!!! ;D

Word.

faith2005

« Reply #537 on: April 20, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »
this is an interesting discussion and i agree that we need to continue to reach back and help others, thats how i was raised. i wanted to respond to sands perception of black people "caught in the numbers game" becoming apart of the "me, myself and i" mentality. i know i'm sensitive about this kind of stuff, but i disagree with that assessment of black folks who go to those "ranked" schools. one thing i will say for my education and my experience with black folks, the "me myself and i" mentality is everywhere, and i experienced it more from students i met from hbcu's and other "so-called" lower ranked schools than at my undergrad and some others who were similarly ranked. i don't know why i have those perceptions, but it comes from my personal experience. i have met dr. akbar, and i have heard him speak more than once. he has always said, go to the centers of knowledge here and take what they have, go to the centers of knowledge in the african world and learn that, then you will be empowered to help your people. i am concerned about rankings, because i recognize that it makes a difference to how white folks perceive me and listen to me. i've been in many situations where white men/women have ignored what i said until i said i graduated from ... then the whole tone of the conversation changed. my hope is to use that for my community. and i know many more people who went to school with me who feel the same way. of course i have good friends who think like regal too, and its all good, do what you do. i just know that everything i have/will attain is built on the backs of the ancestors, so if one individual doesn't necessarily "want to improve themselves" (although i don't agree with that terminology), thats fine, i did my part, and i'll just reach out to the next person. sorry i wrote so much, i just think that there are plenty of people who play the #s game in order to help folks in the future as well. obama is only one very prominent example.

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 20, 2005, 04:46:30 PM »
this is an interesting discussion and i agree that we need to continue to reach back and help others, thats how i was raised. i wanted to respond to sands perception of black people "caught in the numbers game" becoming apart of the "me, myself and i" mentality. i know i'm sensitive about this kind of stuff, but i disagree with that assessment of black folks who go to those "ranked" schools. one thing i will say for my education and my experience with black folks, the "me myself and i" mentality is everywhere, and i experienced it more from students i met from hbcu's and other "so-called" lower ranked schools than at my undergrad and some others who were similarly ranked. i don't know why i have those perceptions, but it comes from my personal experience. i have met dr. akbar, and i have heard him speak more than once. he has always said, go to the centers of knowledge here and take what they have, go to the centers of knowledge in the african world and learn that, then you will be empowered to help your people. i am concerned about rankings, because i recognize that it makes a difference to how white folks perceive me and listen to me. i've been in many situations where white men/women have ignored what i said until i said i graduated from ... then the whole tone of the conversation changed. my hope is to use that for my community. and i know many more people who went to school with me who feel the same way. of course i have good friends who think like regal too, and its all good, do what you do. i just know that everything i have/will attain is built on the backs of the ancestors, so if one individual doesn't necessarily "want to improve themselves" (although i don't agree with that terminology), thats fine, i did my part, and i'll just reach out to the next person. sorry i wrote so much, i just think that there are plenty of people who play the #s game in order to help folks in the future as well. obama is only one very prominent example.

Don't apologize for the length, unless your talking nonsense  ;). But I feel where you're coming from, some black people have the me, myself, and I attitude no matter where they go to school. I see *some* (only a few) of it at my LS and I'm like, wtf?? What's that all about? But you best believe, when BLSA is having a party, or having outlining sessions and other similar things, they they first ones in line..... ::) I'm sure other people have seen this on a smaller scale in UG. Hell, look at Michael Jackson, he tried to literally become white, but as soon as all this legal trouble started it's because he's a black man, he's being persecuted like Nelson Mandela (still can't believe he said that  :() It's a mess girl. And of course, I say go to the best school for YOU. For the most part, I don't believe that anyone is discounting the seriousness of the system re: "prestigiousness" as it is today, my only issue comes in when black students don't want to give back, don't they realize that they are able to attend the "prestigious" institutions that they are b/c black people before them did just that! To me, it's shitting on that legacy........

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #539 on: April 20, 2005, 04:54:03 PM »
Faith, your post is very much on point. Although a degree is just a piece of paper, it does open a lot of doors in our society and get folks to listen to what you have to say. My question is how can you help someone when your own business is not on point? In my eyes, you might end up dragging the person down instead of lifting them you know?
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll