Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 262732 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
Re: 1L's
« Reply #500 on: April 19, 2005, 06:50:38 PM »

I had to distinguish causation for RBG because after you cats readPalsgraff using the word causation takes on a whole new meaning.

I had blk translate it for me.

Actual causation - "is something the cause of this to happen" (i knew this)

proximate - "was it forseeible for somthing to happen" ( i didn't)

there is still no causation. Going to Columbia doesn't cause you to go into biglaw (if that was what you were saying). And if you were saying that because lots of Columbia kids go into biglaw that causes USNews to rank them higher... well... that's just untrue.

you had blk translate? 

LOL

I'll distinguish your argument in a second, my battery is dying on the old laptop
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #501 on: April 19, 2005, 07:01:36 PM »
Yeah put the casebook away. Some of us are not in law school yet so we wouldn't have ANY idea what you are trying to convey.

Edit: Sands I think you logic is off to assume that certain schools are ranked so high because of the whole "big law factory" theory. Alumni, facilities, facility, and bar passage rates are also things to consider regardless if you follow the US New Reports or not.

OH yeah BTW SANDS...I'm interested in INTERNATIONAL LAW...and Columbia is one of the top two schools in the country for preparing their students for a career in that field. Not everyone desires to go the big law route. Being a successful attorney isn't all about making bank and shuffling papers in some corner office. If that is what people are looking forward too, then I feel really bad for them b/c they are going to be miserable.

FYI: Boalt, Stanford, and George Washington have the premiere IP programs in the country.
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 19, 2005, 07:26:01 PM »
Yeah put the casebook away. Some of us are not in law school yet so we wouldn't have ANY idea what you are trying to convey.

Edit: Sands I think you logic is off to assume that certain schools are ranked so high because of the whole "big law factory" theory. Alumni, facilities, facility, and bar passage rates are also things to consider regardless if you follow the US New Reports or not.

OH yeah BTW SANDS...I'm interested in INTERNATIONAL LAW...and Columbia is one of the top two schools in the country for preparing their students for a career in that field. Not everyone desires to go the big law route. Being a successful attorney isn't all about making bank and shuffling papers in some corner office. If that is what people are looking forward too, then I feel really bad for them b/c they are going to be miserable.

FYI: Boalt, Stanford, and George Washington have the premiere IP programs in the country.

I have been in law school and I dont understand what he was trying to convey.
Nah, just kidding.
Back in the saddle again.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 19, 2005, 07:36:01 PM »

I have been in law school and I dont understand what he was trying to convey.
Nah, just kidding.

Glad it wasn't just me. I was feeling rather slow...  ;)
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 19, 2005, 07:44:18 PM »

What will really bake your noodle later on is that some of you will STILL not have any idea after 1, 2 or even 3 years of law school.

I'd say you need to look a little more carefully on exactly HOW schools are ranked.  Read between the lines.   US's methodology grants 40% of a law school's rank to subjectivity from lawyers whom it selects to ask.  WHO do you think they're asking? 

Somebody's not too familiar with the realm of IP I see.   Take a look at all the many IP boutiques in DC and see who they hire.  Many firms on the east coast recognize Santa Clara as one of the top computer law and high tech patent lawyers.  Of course they pull from GW b/c GW is in DC, but to stretch over and actually recruit kids from 3000 miles away makes a statement.  Not to mention one of their professors has literally written the book on patent litigation.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 19, 2005, 07:50:29 PM »

I had to distinguish causation for RBG because after you cats readPalsgraff using the word causation takes on a whole new meaning.

I had blk translate it for me.

Actual causation - "is something the cause of this to happen" (i knew this)

proximate - "was it forseeible for somthing to happen" ( i didn't)

there is still no causation. Going to Columbia doesn't cause you to go into biglaw (if that was what you were saying). And if you were saying that because lots of Columbia kids go into biglaw that causes USNews to rank them higher... well... that's just untrue.

Your definitions of causation are in tact.  Now lets apply them to the argument here.

You argue that going to Columbia doesn't cause you to go into biglaw.  You'll get no argument from me on that statement. That's not what I was trying to prove.

Then you go onto say that because cats go into biglaw that that doesn't cause USNews to rank their school higher.  This couldn't be further from the truth so I have to respectfully disagree.

If you understand how these rankings are run, then you know that Big Law Partners are asked which schools they think are the highest.  That's why schools who produce top lawyers like Howard get no love on this section of the grading, because black attorneys by and large, as we discussed earlier on here, are not making partner.  There is no real reason why a law school like Howard is a so-called "Third Tier" law school other than a subjective ranking system.

Charles H. Houston

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #506 on: April 19, 2005, 08:26:29 PM »
Sands-

based on writ of coram nobis, I retort your conclusion by using facts from the Mann Actevidence found by the a priori assumption and malice which is based on the definition of abandonment that creates the fact by the magistrate. in absentia judgements supports my foundation....oh..excuse my brother..hypotheses.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 19, 2005, 08:28:55 PM »
Sands-

based on writ of coram nobis, I retort your conclusion by using facts from the Mann Actevidence found by the a priori assumption and malice which is based on the definition of abandonment that creates the fact by the magistrate. in absentia judgements supports my foundation....oh..excuse my brother..hypotheses.

I'll take Zip #%@! for $1000 Alex  :D
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 19, 2005, 08:35:50 PM »
Sands-

You see...my Bruh Thuh...the conspiracy, that's C O N - Spriacy, that continues to inflict the ramifications of the constituents here assembled thefefore further exacerbates the rhetorial enigma that holds true to the hypothesies...excuse me...hypocrasies of the inner sanctum of that magistrate's res judicata factor.  You see?
Charles H. Houston

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 19, 2005, 08:48:51 PM »
You guys are some coons