Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 268391 times)

Regal_Muse

Re: 1L's
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2005, 01:01:06 AM »

Honestly, I've heard two sides of the story in terms of how stressful law school is. Law school is what you make of it from what I gather. I'm very passionate about going into the field, so I don't expect to have a nervous break down or anything. I think I might actually enjoy law school.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2005, 01:05:03 AM »

Honestly, I've heard two sides of the story in terms of how stressful law school is. Law school is what you make of it from what I gather. I'm very passionate about going into the field, so I don't expect to have a nervous break down or anything. I think I might actually enjoy law school.

You'll enjoy it.. Especially if you're good with time management..and you have excellent study skills.. There's a big difference from ug grad and law school though.. All work no play.. :-\
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

lil_token

« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2005, 01:07:42 AM »

You're suffering from 0L overoptimism.  I have wanted to be a lawyer since I was nine and have dreamed about attending my school since I was 13.  I started ordering law school bulletins my freshman year in college.  I was fanatic about law school.

But, alas, the reality is that law school is no tea party.  It's damn hard work and you will very likely have a nervous breakdown or suffer great emotional trauma during your first semester.  I consider myself one of the most resillient women I know, and my ass was crawled up in bed, in the fetal position at 4 in the morning, crying hysterically before my last final.  I can't explain what caused it, as I had no rational reason to fear that particular final (I did better in that class than any other).  

For most people, loving the idea of law school as a pre 1L turns into tolerating the process when you actually get there.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2005, 01:10:28 AM »
See I realize that law school is very different from UG. I'm going into the game expecting that I will probably be stretched to the limits and challenged beyond my wildest dreams. Sounds exciting actually. UG has become boring b/c I'm not challenged. Everything is easy for me. I don't even have to go to class and get A's on the midterms without picking up a book. That's boring to me. I need something that will keep my on my P's and Q's.

True...but we're two different people Lil_token. I handle pressure differently from other people.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2005, 01:11:25 AM »
I think that my worse experience was staying up for 72 hours studying for winter finals my 1L... The moment that I went home to Chi, I crashed for 17 hours str8..
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Regal_Muse

« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2005, 01:13:40 AM »
I've stayed up weeks at a time with no sleep and expected to learn a vase amount of material to perfection at a moment's notice. I can deal with pressure LOL.

Little inside joke there...

lil_token

« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2005, 01:17:12 AM »
See I realize that law school is very different from UG. I'm going into the game expecting that I will probably be stretched to the limits and challenged beyond my wildest dreams. Sounds exciting actually. UG has become boring b/c I'm not challenged. Everything is easy for me. I don't even have to go to class and get A's on the midterms without picking up a book. That's boring to me. I need something that will keep my on my P's and Q's.

True...but we're two different people Lil_token. I handle pressure differently from other people.

I was the same way in UG.  Did close to nothing and gradated summa cum laude.  Keep in  mind, however, that law school pressure and UG pressure are two different things.  Not only are you asked to get a great deal of work done in a short time span, you are expected to completely change your method of analysis and writing. 

I don't care how good of a writer you are in college (my UG profs used to sing my praises), you will be humbled when you begin your first memo.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2005, 01:18:04 AM »
I've stayed up weeks at a time with no sleep and expected to learn a vase amount of material to perfection at a moment's notice. I can deal with pressure LOL.

Little inside joke there...

Uhh huh..LOL.. sands and i can definitely relate to that

Regal_Muse

« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2005, 01:22:49 AM »
Writing is one issue I am concerned about b/c I heard EVERYONE gets ripped apart in legal writing. Eh...But as for as Socratic Method, I'll see what happens. I don't think it's anything to freak out about unless the individual has a fear of public speaking (which we all have to get over since we want to be attorneys one day). Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I don't see the purpose of freaking out before you actually get to law school.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2005, 01:31:26 AM »
If that ain't the f*cking truth...

I'm a humble cat.  I came in here humble and have been humbled even more.  I have come from a rough background, and I believe in gettin on the hustle, putting in the work and making things happen to get to where you wanna be.  I've been in tough spots before, that ain't nothing new. 

HOWEVER, After my first semester of law school I went into a quasi-depression, withdrew from classes, withdrew from friends, just pretty much withdrew from the world, found a bottle of puerto rican rum and became an alcoholic and stayed up until 4 am walkin around the house for no reason.

I came to a point where I couldn't do it anymore. 

Law School = 1
Burning Sands = 0

So then I looked around and realized something...EVERYBODY in my class was feeling the same way.  EVERYBODY.  No exceptions.  All those people who thought they knew what pressure was found out the real deal.

Folks were freakin out.  Nobody had experienced mess like this.  You work and you work and you work and you put in 4.0 level of work and you get 3.0 results (if you're on of the good students). 

So in the end, I was only able to bounce back after a swift kick in the ass from LadyDay and calling on my classmates for help who came to my rescue...otherwise this semester was not lookin good for the home team.  My classmates and I just had to come to the realization that we had just got our asses beat, and once we realized that, everything just started fitting together.  We picked ourselves up, dusted each other off, and are making Round 2 up in this piece as we speak.

Ya'll continue to pray for us. (only half joking here)
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston