Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 270121 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
1L's & Current Black Law Students
« on: February 15, 2005, 11:38:54 AM »
Since weez free now, you know it wouldn't be proper unless the 1L's have their own thread to b!tch about that first year as a Black Law Student, b/c you know we have a SLIGHTLY different day to day then the rest of the mainstream.  Especially in law school.

Let me start it off...

CIV PRO SUCKS!

Thank you.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L's
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 03:56:25 PM »
You're a bonafide nutcase.

But honestly, they way you go on about Civ Pro is scaring the *&^% outta me.

I was Contracts female dog until I got my mid-term grade back. Now if I put another 50% into it for a total of 100% I think I'm in pretty good standing.

Question for ya'll, how do you respond when people ask you what you got? Today was the first day someone actually had the audacity to ask me. I don't get all up in others business. But I told her, however, we have such a small community I know by 5pm today most if not all the class will know. And it wasn't a bad grade at all, I just feel it's not anyone's business. Only one other person volunteered their grade to me, but I haven't told anyone that knows them. Oh well  ::).......

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 04:32:13 PM »
I've only shared my grades with one pretty close friend that I study a lot with, and that was only because it was pretty clear that we both did well. No one has outright asked "what did you get?" but people have done it in slightly subtler ways. My standard response is "i'm happy" or "i don't really discuss grades." I think that the people that have been posturing lately did not do so well. Who feels the need to posture if you actually did well?

Oh, and property is far and away the hardest class. Holy crap.

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 04:39:44 PM »
I've only shared my grades with one pretty close friend that I study a lot with, and that was only because it was pretty clear that we both did well. No one has outright asked "what did you get?" but people have done it in slightly subtler ways. My standard response is "i'm happy" or "i don't really discuss grades." I think that the people that have been posturing lately did not do so well. Who feels the need to posture if you actually did well?

Thanks  :) I thought it was pretty rude. Like you, I've been mainly saying "i'm happy" 'cuz I am. Property is my best class  :D, don't tell me your easiest is Contracts.

seu2002

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 06:20:34 PM »
Why are you 1L's posting this?!?!  Are you trying to scare us sh!tless before we even decide what schools we're going to?

(Just kidding!  Thanks for the head's up.  I'll know what classes to pay attention in now.)

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 06:41:45 PM »

Thanks  :) I thought it was pretty rude. Like you, I've been mainly saying "i'm happy" 'cuz I am. Property is my best class  :D, don't tell me your easiest is Contracts.

Haha... actually Contracts was my easiest class. Property is bugging me because it's soooooo formalistic. I generally prefer keeping it real over being unnecessarily formalistic, which was what I liked about contracts. Regardless of the technical validity of things you might contract for, a judge could just as easily say "yeah, but this is crap. so no."

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 02:58:47 AM »
Taterstol - welcome fellow 1L.  What school are you hailing from?

Yeah, the whole grades thing is pretty top secret at the school.  You don't wanna talk in front of the wrong person b/c you might be offending somebody who got a lower grade than you.  Right now, that's the least of my problems.  I'm just trying to stay motivated. 

I've never studied that hard in my life as I did for that first semester or law school.  I surpised myself b/c I didn't think I was capable of putting in all those hours and pushing it to the limit that many times, closing the library down pretty much every night, etc. 

NOW...its a different story.  I feel like some kinda war vet who's come back to the states. But I had a talk with LadyDay the other day and she gave me the speach so I've been getting myself together.

As far as Property...yeah.  That joker is the truth ain't it?  LOL  You must be talkin about the future interests, O to A then to C for life, so long as C does XYZ but if not, then to D and his remainder.  There doesn't seem to be anything simple about the fee simple.   LadyDay did you ever get that damn Rupe Agains Perpetuities down?   ;D  I know you were complaining about that dam thing for brief minute.

My think with Contracts is that you finish the course, and you're still like, so what is a Contract?  Taterstol you hit it on the head, the judge can still, at the end of the day, decide to enforce the agreement or decide to not enforce the agreement.  Contracts is nothing more than promises that courts will recognize.  If they would just tell you that on the first day, then everything would be alright. 

If you hate formalistic classes then you must HATE Civ Pro.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 03:16:40 AM »
oh yeah, and civ pro sucks

thank you
Charles H. Houston

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 08:30:39 PM »
LadyDay did you ever get that damn Rupe Agains Perpetuities down?   ;D  I know you were complaining about that dam thing for brief minute.

Yeah, the night before the damn mid-term, at least I think so  :-\ if my grade is any reflection  ;). But don't ask me what the hell it means now, Property has moved to the real *&^% now, tenants and crap.

Made4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • "to boldly go, where no man has gone before"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 08:31:13 PM »
Hate to hijack but since I have your brillant minds and experience. Prep or Chill out for the summer. I can't really chill but I have been reading LS Confidential and 1L. Anything you guys know now you wish you had known last year, Six months or so b4 school.
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy."