Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 268929 times)

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L's & Current Black Law Students
« Reply #3040 on: June 22, 2006, 10:13:27 AM »
Just popping in to say hi! I want to shout about this all over LSD to all those people who thought I'd never make it in law school because of my LSAT. Instead, I thought it would be better to share with supportive folks.

I kicked but last semester. Finished the year in the top 1/3. I'll be on the Business and Tax Law Journal next year. And I'm getting published with my judge three times!

Haven't read the rest of the thread. Hope everyone did well last year and is having a great summer.

Hey girl! It's so good to hear from you. We're proud of you!!! ;D ;D ;D

btw, Business and Tax, huh? Better you than me. ;)

Thanks for the support, guys! I really appreciate it.  And yep, business and Tax. I LOVE tax law. And I LOVE bankruptcy law. How that happened, I have no idea, but it's a great combo to love and very desireable for recruiting I hear.

As for the resume. I used 1" margins and went on 2 full pages in 10pt font for my law school application resume. But for regular jobs, I only use a 1-page. My margins are .75".

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: June 22, 2006, 10:26:19 AM »
I just turned in my regular 1 page resume that I use for jobs.
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: June 23, 2006, 12:47:12 PM »
I may have to take this over to the students/graduates board but I wanted to ask ya'll first - has anybody had Conflicts of Laws?

I got a conflicts issue I need help with.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: June 23, 2006, 01:17:48 PM »
I can act like I know what I'm talking about if you'd like?  lol jp
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: June 23, 2006, 01:43:13 PM »
works for me, I need to bounce some ideas around.

Got this case right? Cat worked for this company in New York, signed a non-compete agreement with the company, then breached it by starting his own company on the side, in New York.  They went to state court in New York and the company won.

Dude then moves to Tenessee or some *&^% like that and set up shop AGAIN competing against the company.  We represent the company. We want to bring his ass back to court in NY.

How do we do it?

[walking around in office talking to self]
Now I'm thinking, this is a conflicts of law issue, which means I need to find case law showing that once a case is decided in NY, the state of NY has an interest to keep any subsequent litigation related to that case in NY even if one of the parties moves to another state...

[pacing back and forth]
...on the other hand this might just be a simple personal jurisdiction issue, whereby if we can establish some ties back to NY with this cat we'd be justified in sueing him here...

what do you think?  ;D

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #3045 on: June 23, 2006, 01:53:16 PM »
Wow...that's pretty interesting.  No idea over here (yet).  But lemme know if you figure it out before I do (likely outcome).
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: June 23, 2006, 01:54:47 PM »

Got this case right? Cat worked for this company in New York, signed a non-compete agreement with the company, then breached it by starting his own company on the side, in New York.  They went to state court in New York and the company won.

Dude then moves to Tenessee or some sh*t like that and set up shop AGAIN competing against the company.  We represent the company. We want to bring his ass back to court in NY.

How do we do it?

Now I'm thinking, this is a conflicts of law issue, which means I need to find case law showing that once a case is decided in NY, the state of NY has an interest to keep any subsequent litigation related to that case in NY even if one of the parties moves to another state...

[pacing back and forth]
...on the other hand this might just be a simple personal jurisdiction issue, whereby if we can establish some ties back to NY with this cat we'd be justified in sueing him here...

what do you think?  ;D

Is the agreement not to compete within a certain area of the companies offices? If so you may have to bring a whole new case. In which case if done in NY the Defendant can remove it to Tenn. Otherwaise you may be able to just file for the judgement in NY to be enforced in Tenn under Art. 4 priveledges and immunities.  There may also be a Zimmerman issue as to which states law will be used if it must be brought in Tenn.  It's a sure win if they use NY Law. You are supposed to use the forumn states law unless the forumn states law says otherwise. And you must research because many forumn states say to use the law of the stae in which the event happened. This could be argued to be the state in which the K was executed therefore giving you a win under NY law and summary judgement under res judicata.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: June 23, 2006, 02:07:20 PM »

Dude then moves to Tenessee or some sh*t like that and set up shop AGAIN competing against the company.  We represent the company. We want to bring his ass back to court in NY.

How do we do it?

[pacing back and forth]

what do you think?  ;D

Is the agreement not to compete within a certain area of the companies offices? If so you may have to bring a whole new case. In which case if done in NY the Defendant can remove it to Tenn. Otherwaise you may be able to just file for the judgement in NY to be enforced in Tenn under Art. 4 priveledges and immunities.  There may also be a Zimmerman issue as to which states law will be used if it must be brought in Tenn.  It's a sure win if they use NY Law. You are supposed to use the forumn states law unless the forumn states law says otherwise. And you must research because many forumn states say to use the law of the stae in which the event happened. This could be argued to be the state in which the K was executed therefore giving you a win under NY law and summary judgement under res judicata.

Ah, good call.  I need a copy of the contract.

Yeah as far as the law of the forum, that's what initially prompted me to think this was a conflicts of laws issue.  Typically you use the forum of the state where the contract was formed (accepted) or where the contract was to be enforced.

I'll put you down as .3 billable hours!  ;D
Charles H. Houston

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: June 23, 2006, 02:08:51 PM »

How do we do it?

[pacing back and forth]

what do you think?  ;D

Ah, good call.  I need a copy of the contract.

Yeah as far as the law of the forum, that's what initially prompted me to think this was a conflicts of laws issue.  Typically you use the forum of the state where the contract was formed (accepted) or where the contract was to be enforced.

I'll put you down as .3 billable hours!  ;D

Can I count the hours I was in class for Civ Pro I & II  :D

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: June 23, 2006, 02:11:31 PM »
no doubt

thanks
Charles H. Houston