Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 270244 times)

seu2002

Re: 1L's
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2005, 09:36:29 PM »
1Ls, I know what the Socratic method is, but how does it work in LS?  

Specifically:

how early in the semester do the professors start using it?

and how do they ask refer to students?  Is it by randomly calling out names from a list or by choosing whomever catches their fancy?

I know all professors are different, but I'm wondering what your general experiences have been.

Thanks.

lil_token

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2005, 09:43:43 PM »

Specifically:

and how do they ask refer to students?  Is it by randomly calling out names from a list or by choosing whomever catches their fancy?

I know all professors are different, but I'm wondering what your general experiences have been.

Thanks.

It depends on the school and the professor.  Some schools are brutall Socratic, while others have a more discussion-oriented environment.  Some profs will cold call, others will give you notice of when you should be prepared to be called upon.

At my school, even profs who cold call are generally fairly accomodating and do not make it their life's purpose to humiliate you in front of 120 of your classmates.  I prefer it that way, as I believe that at times the Socratic method can be warped to serve the narcissistic tendencies of law professors rather than function as a practical pedogogical method.

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2005, 10:45:58 PM »

Specifically:

Thanks.

lil-token has pretty much explained it. at my school it's more discussion oriented. at some schools the professor will call on one student and grill that one student for a 45 min session. Ask Sands, he has seen this. You can usually see the professor refer to his list, at my school on the first/second day you pick where you want to sit, and then fill out a seating chart for the professor and they call on people from there. it's pretty random. You should watch the paper chase, it can be like that but a lot less brutal. in one of my classes the professor will actually call on someone and be like "is today a good day?" and you can say yes or no. it's not a big deal. but if he calls on you 5 times and each and every single time you say no, then he probably will take note of that and come final grade time you either will not get a bump or he could bump you down. in some classes they'll begin on the first day, for the most part i've noticed that they don't, the professor might lecture for the first day.

The thing to remember is:

#1 Be prepared
#2 Relax, everyone is in the same boat, you'll feel like you look like an idiot, but unless you really are a idiot (or a gunner) everyone else in the class will feel your pain and sympathize with you. If anything, they're not thinking about whether or not what you're saying is correct, they're thanking GOD that they weren't the one called on! And everyone will be in your position someday.

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2005, 11:03:04 PM »
i agree with pretty much everthing. my school is HEAVILY socratic. from the first day (our seating chart is alphabetical by last name, so the prof. has the chart the first day) every single one of my prof.'s grills people. of course some are worse than others. it is the worst in the fall semester because u really dont know ur classmates that well, its a bunch of a strangers, and here u are, getting grilled by the prof., the last thing u want to do is sound dumb. of course, no matter what, u will get at least some of the questions wrong, everyone does. and actually, everyone really doesn't care how u do, cause they are happy they aren't picked on. and the ones who do smile and shake their head and laugh at people who try to answer in class, well, ur not gonna friends with those a$$holes anyway, so F'em! In the spring semester, it gets a lot easier. u know most of ur classmates, they know ur intelligent, if u bomb when u get called on, they know u had a bad day...know u got that dang memo due in a week, with 4 hours of con law reading to do. (oh wait, i just described what happened to me today, ha)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2005, 03:02:37 AM »

Specifically:

Day 1

and how do they ask refer to students? 

Hey You!

Is it by randomly calling out names from a list or by choosing whomever catches their fancy?

They look to see who's playing solitare on their laptop and open fire.

The socratic method keeps you sharp.  I do the best in classes where the professors stick to it.  We've all seen that poor rat bastard who gets called on and doesn't have a clue.  You don't wanna be that cat.  My school factors your ability to answer into your final grade for each class, for example, if you are able to respond with a substantive argument consistently throughout the semester then your grade is bumped up at the end of the semester from say a B+ to an A-.  Conversely, if you are not able to hold it down, your grade is bumped down which could mean the difference between a B- and a C+.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2005, 03:12:19 AM »
1Ls...describe your school's BLSA in 5 words.

Can you add the name of your school to the description, pleez?  I'm interested in what the BLSA's are like at the various law schools and I'm new here and I don't know where everyone goes.

Thanks.

The roll call is as follows:

The NY crew:

LadyDay - Cardozo
Blue Warrior - NYLS
Myself - Rutgers
Bubazz - Albany

Then you got:

1LWhit at Illinois
Lil' Token at an undisclosed law school somewhere west of the mississippi
SMU obviously at SMU in Texas
Blk Reign - recent grad from GW

uhhh....am I missing anybody? I think that's about it.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Lexington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2005, 10:45:08 AM »
1Ls...describe your school's BLSA in 5 words.

Can you add the name of your school to the description, pleez?  I'm interested in what the BLSA's are like at the various law schools and I'm new here and I don't know where everyone goes.

Thanks.

The roll call is as follows:

The NY crew:

LadyDay - Cardozo
Blue Warrior - NYLS
Myself - Rutgers
Bubazz - Albany

Then you got:

1LWhit at Illinois
Lil' Token at an undisclosed law school somewhere west of the mississippi
SMU obviously at SMU in Texas
Blk Reign - recent grad from GW

uhhh....am I missing anybody? I think that's about it.

Thank you Sands  :)
"I take summers off cuz I love winter beef..." NAS

Regal_Muse

« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2005, 01:15:00 PM »
Hehe I'm a future 1L...does that count?

Ugh...if I need "help"  :P ;)

Well someone tutor me. HEHEHEHHEE

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2005, 01:36:10 PM »
Hehe I'm a future 1L...does that count?

Ugh...if I need "help"  :P ;)

Well someone tutor me. HEHEHEHHEE

lol. what the hell are you talking about? your a nut.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
POLL RESULTS 2/24/05
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2005, 02:01:40 PM »
#1 Reason for going to law school is to live comfortably
#2 Reason is to live filthy rich
#3 Reason is the help the community
and 1 cat wants to know the law

Time for a new poll.  Thoughts?
Charles H. Houston