Specific Groups / Issues > Black Law Student Discussion Board

1L's & Current Black Law Students

<< < (982/982)

malwal:
Hey guys,..I got a pretty urgent question that needs a reply.

Does URM only apply to US citizens? I'm a black permanent resident,...i keep getting conflicting reports on this. I was looking at the Northwestern application and it says "US citizens only" before the race designation box. It also has a disclaimer saying that schools getting federal assistance must report minority stats.

However some other schools don't have "citizens only" tag,...although they all obviously ask for citizenship. So does the urm thing vary,..or does it only apply to citizens?

This would make a huge difference in the kind of schools i apply to, so I almost can't move forward without knowing this. Thanks.

legalized:

--- Quote from: seu2002 on February 21, 2005, 05:32:54 PM ---sands, i'm sure all that wisdom you've imparted on us re: outlining, reading, and having lots of sex before 1L will work wonders for all us pre-L's.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I don't think those words will escape the back of my mind anytime soon. lol.

Especially that last one.  *smh @ self*

reaisan:

--- Quote from: malwal on August 19, 2009, 07:29:14 AM ---Hey guys,..I got a pretty urgent question that needs a reply.

Does URM only apply to US citizens? I'm a black permanent resident,...i keep getting conflicting reports on this. I was looking at the Northwestern application and it says "US citizens only" before the race designation box. It also has a disclaimer saying that schools getting federal assistance must report minority stats.

However some other schools don't have "citizens only" tag,...although they all obviously ask for citizenship. So does the urm thing vary,..or does it only apply to citizens?

This would make a huge difference in the kind of schools i apply to, so I almost can't move forward without knowing this. Thanks.

--- End quote ---
I'm not on the admissions board or anything, but I am a Black American, who isn't "African American."

In my day, they didn't even have African-American/Black categories. Everyone was just AA if you were dark. The new label, I feel... is just another way to lump us together again. I don't think they're thinking about nationality, heritage, anything like that. They're just lookin' for that pigment to say their school is diverse.

legalized:

--- Quote from: malwal on August 19, 2009, 07:29:14 AM ---Hey guys,..I got a pretty urgent question that needs a reply.

--- End quote ---

Often the hr departments and such in this country have no clue about immigration statuses when typing up things like that...

Whatever your race classification was or would be on the US Census, as long as it is not Caucasian/White, you're a URM.

Asians are becoming something of a commodity in URM circles in law school because they are actually rather well represented versus their percentage of the total US population.

If the school wants US citizens only, they are probably trying to prevent international students from skewing their stats. 

But they should not be discounting permanent residents because you are eligible for the same financial aid as a citizen.  So call the school and ask how they want you to list yourself cause that's just weird.

If the other schools don't care, then list yourself as a URM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version